Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I got out of work a couple hours early so I decided to hit my new hole in my river bank. All I got to say is we need rain bad because it was just a massive dust cloud and the ground is as hard as rock. So digging wasn't easy. After pulling slick medicine after slick medicine I came across this beautiful New England green demijohn at least I think it's a Demi. This thing is wonky and crude and I think it has an iron pontil. Any ideas of the age? Thanks for looking.- Justin ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432075431.238273.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432075447.136106.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432075457.876707.jpg

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice bottle! Super bubbles!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Demijohn's are usually broke because of the size of them, nice color to :thumbsup:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Yesterday I got out of work a couple hours early so I decided to hit my new hole in my river bank. All I got to say is we need rain bad because it was just a massive dust cloud and the ground is as hard as rock. So digging wasn't easy. After pulling slick medicine after slick medicine I came across this beautiful New England green demijohn at least I think it's a Demi. This thing is wonky and crude and I think it has an iron pontil. Any ideas of the age? Thanks for looking.- Justin View attachment 1163740 View attachment 1163741 View attachment 1163742

Nice, early demijohn -- 1840-60, maybe. The bottle appears to have a glass-tipped pontil scar, not an iron pontil. These bottles just don't survive in a landfill. Fortunately for us, many of them were used and re-used until they were finally abandoned in a cellar or barn.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, early demijohn -- 1840-60, maybe. The bottle appears to have a glass-tipped pontil scar, not an iron pontil. These bottles just don't survive in a landfill. Fortunately for us, many of them were used and re-used until they were finally abandoned in a cellar or barn.

Thanks Harry. It was quite a shock to find a bottle this large I always come across shards but this is my first complete one. And an other question do you believe this bottle to be American?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Justin, that's a very nice demijohn. I'm with Harry on the age of that one. There is no telling what your new place will contain. Glad to hear from you and good luck.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thats a nice one for sure. Congrats! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread