Pikes Peak, Robacks Bitters, Citron Ink and More, 130 Years Old time to see the light

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all, Here's my story......

It's been quite awhile since we were able to finally dig some glass that made us both say "WOW." :headbang: But today is that day. You see, for all of us diggers out there we occasionally get tired of seeing the same things. The same medicines, beer bottles etc. :BangHead: But we just keep doing what we do and nearly break our backs doing it. Don and I have been counting the pits we have done and we were on a streak of bad ones. :icon_scratch: Couldn't figure out why we were not hitting any "Use Layers" and were just coming away empty. We were up to 7 now and nothing. ??? All ash pits, trash pits with post 1900 stuff. Couldn't turn the century at all. And we are digging in spots that were dated to 1875-80. But like I say and Don agrees, we have to pay our dues every now and again. Sometimes that makes the current finds just that much sweeter. :thumbsup:

So onto another house dating to 1875. A smaller skinny type yard but longer and deeper that most. So I had to probe a bit to find the first pit. Well as you know by now, the dues were still being paid. :thumb_down: Nothing but bricks, broken meat pots! That was a 6 footer. Nothing to show so fill her in and move on. I probed an ash pit that had all wood ash which is normally a good sign for "Oldness." But after chopping through a root the size of a telephone pole, we discovered nothing again. Ugh, so I moved about 25 feet closer to the house and found another privy. Our hopes were up of course but reality is what it is. The very first thing to pop out was a skirted Coke bottle! Pretty cool but not really what were were looking for. So we kept digging passing the 6 foot mark with not much action.

Then at around 6 and 1/2 feet down I broke into the Use Layer. The next two things were awesome and told us the date of the pit. A stoneware ink and the beautiful Citron cone ink. WOW what a color! :headbang: So now it was Don's turn. As soon as he got in the pit he pulls out a great looking Bell Top Ink in perfect shape. Never seen or dug one of these before but it was cool and crude. :icon_thumright: After he dug a ton of broken plates, glasses and the usual household stuff he was burnt out and needed a rest. So I jumped in and continued to go for China! :tongue3: I started in and immediately saw a pile of glass towards the back of the pit so I used my rake and pulled some out. Then more glass fell onto the rake from above. Low and Behold out pops the 1/2 pint Pikes Peak Eagle Flask WooHoooo! :headbang: We were both stoked now. And new we were in for some special finds. I no more than handed Don the flask and bent over to use my light and saw the base of what I thought was a common glass cup. So I reached in and grabbed it and pulled it out. It just kept coming and as it hit the light I saw that it was a Barrel shaped bottle. Then I saw the top was intact and then the light hit the embossing just right. Bammo, CW Robacks, Stomach Bitters, Cincinnati O. :headbang: :thumbsup: Holy Cow Wow!!!!! What a day. I have only seen a piece or two of one but now to have a whole one in my hands is just crazy. After that Don was back in. He pulled out numerous plates and broken pieces of medicines, including a Lindseys Blood Searcher :BangHead: But what the heck we were back in the game finally! A nice pile of great glass after a skunking for so long feels great.

I took some photo's along the way and then did some light cleaning for the after pictures. Hope you enjoy. I know we did while it lasted. Hope to get back and possibly find another pit, maybe older, but that's up to the bottle Gods and after we pay our dues again! :tongue3: But we are up to the challenge! Be safe out there and good luck on all of your treasure hunting.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 118
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 130
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 118
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 110
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 120
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 121
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 111
  • s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 119
  • s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 117
  • s10.jpg
    s10.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 117
  • s11.jpg
    s11.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 120
  • s12.jpg
    s12.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 111
  • s13.jpg
    s13.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 117
  • s14.jpg
    s14.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 125
  • s15.jpg
    s15.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 116
  • s16.jpg
    s16.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 103
  • s17.jpg
    s17.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 109
  • s18.jpg
    s18.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 130
  • s19.jpg
    s19.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 129
  • s20.jpg
    s20.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 118
  • s21.jpg
    s21.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 115
  • s22.jpg
    s22.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 118
  • s23.jpg
    s23.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 116
  • s24.jpg
    s24.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 116
  • s25.jpg
    s25.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 119
  • s26.jpg
    s26.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 111
  • s27.jpg
    s27.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 113
  • s28.jpg
    s28.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 121
  • s29.jpg
    s29.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 112
  • s30.jpg
    s30.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 113
  • s31.jpg
    s31.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 106

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
WHAT A GOOD DAY!! BUT (deleted for rule language violation) is that Coke doing in there?!?!?!? :laughing7:

Last edited by a moderator:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , that is an awesome pit !!! :occasion14:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super dig gas! I'm with epackage, the coke in the top blows my mind! Where do we start, ah yes, the inks. I don't have a stoneware so I'm jealous of yours. The citron is just plain eye candy. Great find. That pp flask is very cool, thanks for the thumbs up on that one. I know you where stoked when you pulled that one out. Can't decide which I like best, the flask or the barrel bitter's. Glad to see you break the dry spell. Awesome dig, post, pictures ...game, set and match.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT A GOOD DAY!! BUT (deleted for rule language violation) is that Coke doing in there?!?!?!? :laughing7:

Abbreviations for foul language STILL violates our rules./

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are the king on digging bottles. One thing to know about them it is another to dig the hole. Great dig Jgas.I would be interested to see your probe. I have had one I made for about for about 15 years. Nice inks as well.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the roback's a pontil?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The Robacks is smooth base. Probably an early 1880's I would think. None of the bottles were pontiled in this pit. In fact there were only a couple that were hinge mold. Which I found kinda interesting. I hope that there may be another pit there close by and just a touch older. The next time I dig I will take a photo of the probes we use and post them for ya. Just a typical spring steel probe that is six feet tall. I sure love to find the flasks, they are always a thrill, but the barrel bitters tops it all. Never thought we would get one of those. And of course the trifecta inks was great with that citron one. Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. Now lets go dig two!!!!! jgas

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be a futile effort but I'm voting this dig as a banner. With the Roback's barrel bitter's, the pikes peak flask and the citron ink, in my opinion you should get the nod. The Roback's Bitter's (big boy) is a great find. Congratulations on a great day and I vote banner

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
awesome post, great write up and pix...homerun!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pikes Peak, Robacks Bitters, Citron Ink and More, 130 Years Old time to see t...

Lot 119
Current Bid: Not opened

"Dr C.W. Robacks / Stomach Bitters / Cincinnati.O" Figural Bitters Bottle, R/H #R-74
View: Main (Large) View 2 (Large)
Lot: 119 "Dr C.W. Robacks / Stomach Bitters / Cincinnati.O" Figural Bitters Bottle, America, 1860-1880. Barrel form, medium amber with an olive tone, applied sloping collared mouth - smooth base, ht. 9 1/8 inches. R/H #R-74 Unusual and scarce color. Fine condition. Property of The Strong, sold to benefit the museum's collections fund.
Estimate: $300 - $600 Minimum bid: $150
Current Bid: Not opened
[emoji767] 2015 Norman C. Heckler & Company

Jgas' bottle is the more common Amber color but still a great find

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info Bass. Who knows if we will ever find another. But we shall keep up the fight and keep digging! Oh yeah, the skirted coke in the picture came at the 1 to 2 foot depth. That was crazy, and to think what was below that. WOW. It was fun for sure. Thanks again Buddy. ! Jgas

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas, im curious how you guys are going to split the treasure. Do you put them all together and take turns picking? Or do you keep whatever you dig? When my dig partner and i work a shared pit we usually do a big pile and then split them up at the end. The person with the best pull gets first pick. If there are duplicate bottles its an auto split. My favorite bottle you guys got is the flask bottle but the bitters bottle is a close second. Also love the stonewear and any citron glass is special too. Way to go!

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Golden thanks for the question. Well it goes way back to the very early 70s when Don and I became friends in second grade. As kids we played in the dirt and now we still do at over 50 years old. We have never been in fights over bottles. We just love the history and research. Don in fact doesn't collect any bottles really. So I get them cleaned up and display them. Some day of course we will most likely sell them and them split the money. But for now we just are in awe of the beauty and hard work that went into making these little glass pieces of treasure. We always give back to the local museums as well as donating any sales of the doubles to the homeowner or a charity that we dig for. Such as the local churches or The Wounded Warrior Project and our Police Honor Guards. There is always something to give to and we dig to do our part in those endeavors. So in a nutshell we share our finds with as many people as we can. Thanks for asking. Jgas.

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig guys I like the bitter .ps its time for me to digging too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread