Method for digging a bottle dump?

luke102938

Mar 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you excavate a large dump? I found a old dump in the woods, more like several dumps that overlap each-other dating from around the 1920s to the 1970s. I know good soda and water bottles along with jars from the 1920s to the 1950s are in there based on what i found just pushing stuff around. The problems are the area also has lots of stuff from the 1960s to 1970s thrown in and the amount of total material to go through and i don't want to make more of a mess.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hay luke, the best way do dig these surface dumps is to find the farthest edge then dig striate in and under.mark a five food wide trench. whan you get to the other side turn around and state right next to what you just did and go back. oh and sing that baby song you know.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go to the middle and dig all the way to the bottom until you hit native ground. That might give you an idea of the real age of the dump and whether or not its worth digging it. There is no exact science because its usually a hodge podge. It all depends on how the dumpers decided to dump. Be careful because some dumps have dangerous things that where dumped into them pre regulations...

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some farm dump may have dangerous chemicals in them like pesticides , herbicides, and harmful bacteria.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figure out which direction they were coming from when they dumped. Go to the far side and dig to the bottom and see what turns up. It could older than you think.

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20's-30's dumps are the only reliable place to find pre war porcelain signs. You have to get lucky and dig the right spot though and it helps if the dump is mostly 1930's this is when most of the older porcelain signs were disposed of.

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a question is the dump on a hilside area if is .I would start at the bottom of the hillside and dig straight in till you hit normal dirt and go striaght up as you go junk wil behind you as you throw it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread