So the cops came to the dump today...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently somebody called 911 on me because they saw me digging a hole! This dump has been being dug for 40+ years. Now I can't go back there without getting "permission" from the town. I doubt they would grant me permission. Why can't people mind their own business??? Seriously! What is some peoples problem? Seems the world doesnt want me bottle digging. I work a full time job. I pay my taxes. I got a little time off and want to go dig for some bottles. Thats all. Heres the funny part. I got 0 bottles but I got this little guy. Maybe it was a warning. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435094130.578396.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435094278.390937.jpg (no offense). 99.9% of people don't care/look the other way... Its that one nosey $#%%#^#*+ that ruined one of my only spots.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and ask whoever is in charge of the dump'/property. Make an appointment and go see them face to face. Also take a sample of some of your finds so they can see what your getting.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and ask whoever is in charge of the dump'/property. Make an appointment and go see them face to face. Also take a sample of some of your finds so they can see what your getting.

I guess its worth a shot. I believe that they will just say "absolutely not". If they allowed it then they would be liable to get sued by someone getting hurt. Broken glass...holes...collapsing walls...dangerous...blah blah blah... Like I said, worth a shot though. I guess I will just drive an hour and a half to a dump that I know cops won't go to in the meantime.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission should be pretty easy to obtain. It does suck that someone had to be nosy and ruin it for you but get permission so you can stick it in their face.:censored:

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shouldn't need permission to go digging in a dump thats been being dug for 40+ years. Extremely lame.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone may have thought you were a serial killer dumping your latest victim. I would go to the man in charge and ask for permission. You are an urban archaeologist...

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get very nervous when I'm digging and feel like someone might see me. Good thing is most people I've seen are oblivious.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I have to now. Its funny because I'm not the only bottle digger that goes there but I might be the only one that has to ask permission to dig there. I wish the next time someone wants to call the cops on me they will just talk to me. Cowards.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get very nervous when I'm digging and feel like someone might see me. Good thing is most people I've seen are oblivious.

The problem with this dump is that there is a path that people walk their dogs on. Usually they walk by and don't even see me.
EDIT: The path doesn't go through the dump but its along side it.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with this dump is that there is a path that people walk their dogs on. Usually they walk by and don't even see me.
EDIT: The path doesn't go through the dump but its along side it.

That's frustrating, hopefully things work out for you.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that. There's going to be ONE person who can't stand the thought of someone getting something 'free' and won't rest until they smother all individuality and innovation and make everybody as small-minded and dull as they are.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you meet the man in charge, offer to sign a 'hold harmless' agreement. It may help with the liability problem.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you meet the man in charge, offer to sign a 'hold harmless' agreement. It may help with the liability problem.

Thats a good thought. Thank you, I will put that in my arsenal if needed.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks.

I hate the fact that EVERYTHING is illegal these days. In my state it's terrible. Can't do half of what I used to.

You would think they'd be happy that you're hauling away "trash". But, if some busybody feels like you're getting something and they're not, watch out. "Five O" WILL be summoned.

The cops are no better. They can almost always find something to hassle you about because everything is illegal these days. You can't argue with them or they'll arrest you for being "insubordinate", not submitting to authority or some other ridiculous charge. You can wind up in jail for digging old trash. Ridiculous.

People should get hobbies (like us) so they can occupy themselves enough to mind their own business instead of everyone else's.

I was hunting a picnic ground that borders a state park. I have been approached 3 FREAKIN times by DNR/Park ranger types demanding I stop digging and every time, I tell them I have permission and give the ladies name who happily gave it to me. The crazy thing is, it's PRIVATE property and they have ZERO jurisdiction there. It's like because it's on their border, they think they can tell me what to do.

Freakin' control freaks. There's one in every crowd.

I feel for you dude. On the upside, maybe you can find a dump off the beaten path. There are still quite a few of those around if you look. Lots of old homes had bottle/trash dumps somewhere along the perimeter of the property, usually in the back or in whatever woods were behind the houses. I found one I didn't know about in the last month.

Picked up these bottles and plate fragment there (and just a couple of the coins) but haven't started digging yet. I definitely intend to go back and have a closer look.

First Half Dollar Relics and Clad May 31 2015 001.JPG

Another friend has an old dump on his property from a colonial house. He's been digging bottles there since he was a little kid but never metal detected it. That's where I come in. I hope you can locate some other good digging sites as well.

Good luck and may your future treasures be many and WITHOUT any public scrutiny.

Oh, and nice find on the little piggie nick nack.

Last edited:

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few dump you quiet dig no tossing a stay well hide and park your far away or drop you stuff. Ps I would hit that dump again on rainy day. Most likely the town hell no to diging like out sight out mind!! Hehe

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For God only knows why, there are just some people that can't have a good day, unless they are ruining someone else's good day! Too bad they just can't all be put together in their own private community so they can have fun ruining their own days!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ask-- the worse they can say is "no"...which is what you got already --so you can only improve your chances by asking....

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
screw the cops . get in there when no ones looking ,stay hidden , the cops will never know. they only respond it complaint's . out of site out od mind !

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I had a similar problem metal detecting a revolutionary site. Had owners permission and was finding mostly lead balls and no big money relics. State cop comes and tells us a Vermont state owned museum complained and said they own the land. Told us to stop looking until he could verify the land owner. Gave it a rest came back next year and talked to owner . He said he was never approached by police and told us we could look and showed us his land markers. Thanked him and came back a month later. His wife said that her husband had taking up metal detecting and that we couldn't look. I personally think that they got pressure from the museum to keep us off. To bad to leave history buried when in time a development or blacktop will cover it for good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread