How to deal with original contents:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the protocol for when you dig a bottle with the cork still in with original contents? Does this increase value or should it be cleaned? Does it make a difference if it was dug from the ground(dump) or found inside a house? If there is no label/no original boxing I believe the contents should be cleaned out to reveal the bottle as just a bottle to show just the glass. Am I wrong on this?

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you. I also think it's hard to tell original contents from a dug bottle. You never know what's in there, people repurposed/refilled bottles with who knows what.

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on what it is, if it is a bottle that says cocaine on it I would leave it in. Milk of magnesia gets emptied. Needle nose pliers are good for rusted lids.

The bottles I can think of that are worth more with the contents are paper label chemist bottles for the most part and of coarse wine/spirits bottles. All of which are usually found destroyed when dug, mostly I think these are bottles you will find in a box in an attic.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes my guess even with a cork in. ground water will have found it's way in
after 50 - 100 years under ground.

it depends on purpose for keeping the bottle.

I personally would look at it & weigh it's eye appeal with the contents.
and if I am keeping it for display or possible resale.
I would be more inclined to leave the contents in, If for my personal display.
where I feel a potential buyer may be grossed out, or if I was going to need to box & send it out.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thats about what I was thinking too... I found a Dr. King's New Discovery with brown syrupy liquid inside and thought I would ask you guys. Heres a pic:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435229936.926369.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be just me, but the crystalization in that bottle tells me that is original contents.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imo yep :thumbsup:

the Toning is Awesome !

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found bottles with contains still in there but have empty due cork rott and contain started stink up the house. I would worried about chemical reaction a gas cloud can hit when oxygen is introduced. Ps I know someone died from this!,

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Majority of the time, the contents does not increase the value(unless we're talking about a wine or champagne,etc.) matter of fact, most people will dispose of the contents before cleaning and displaying. Over time, the contents change form/dehydrate/etc. I've heard of a few unopened colas being discussed and the room was split on whether to keep the contents or dispose even on those.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok sounds like I'm gonna have to take the contents out.
Edit: or leave it outside

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not planning to get too graphic here, but
I was watching two local bottle hunters digging out a 10' brick privy recently here in Denver.
Almost everything was coming out clean and dry, until they got near the bottom.
Then they started handing me up bottles that were almost full of liquid, even though the dirt being dug was dry.
I asked them what the liquid was, and they told me most likely urine.
Pouring them out pretty much confirmed that fact.
During the winter months, a lot of people would urinate into anything handy indoors, and then toss the containers into the privy
when leaving the house.
So, I wouldn't always wish to keep the contents!
Carl

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice. Another quack medicine! The most interesting part of all that to me was the fact that not only did it not help the tuberculoses patient but it almost certainly shortened their life. They would stop coughing and be sedated which robbed them of their body's natural defense which was to cough. But they sure looked better not coughing and relaxing.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not planning to get too graphic here, but
I was watching two local bottle hunters digging out a 10' brick privy recently here in Denver.
Almost everything was coming out clean and dry, until they got near the bottom.
Then they started handing me up bottles that were almost full of liquid, even though the dirt being dug was dry.
I asked them what the liquid was, and they told me most likely urine.
Pouring them out pretty much confirmed that fact.
During the winter months, a lot of people would urinate into anything handy indoors, and then toss the containers into the privy
when leaving the house.
So, I wouldn't always wish to keep the contents!
Carl

I absolutely believe that but in this case I highly doubt it because the bottle is so small.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
We have dug several that were at minimum partially full. When we opened them the smell was so rank that we had to evacuate the pit for a moment. Terrible smell and who knows what. Mostly like turpentine smell, oils, gas like smell. Not cool to breath that in I'm sure. So now we always wait to empty the contents after we are done digging. I still have a bottle in my back yard that is only a quarter of the way full and its too toxic to even handle that's been outside for 3 years in open air and winters. Just be very careful being like a curious cat to smell that crud, it can hurt you. jgas

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally carefully remove the cork(if possible) and discard the contents and re insert the cork as it may be the original one. Nice links provided by 2screwed. I had researched this Dr. King several years ago as well, and he was just one of many who plyed his trade on the ailing and was called out on his cure all quackery. But I am not so sure that all these guys were cons, some meant well I would hope anyways.Technology in the medicine field was in its advancing stages and well, New Discoverys piqued the interest of those desperate for a cure. btw, your Dr. Kings is much nicer than my dug example:laughing7:.

zsqo.JPG

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if its from a doctor (dr king) you can trust it right? :) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435448504.952279.jpg all set with the clean up-cork preserved/contents disgarded

Last edited:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly dig bottles for the bottle it self , content maters not to me . its the glass or pottery that counts .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread