Newbie Needs Help with Identifying Crown Jar - Please Help!

collectorbee

Jun 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I am new to glass, so please forgive any silly questions. I've looked all over the internet to see if I could find another jar like this one, and so far -- no luck. It's a really interesting jar and I'd love to know more about what it was used for and where it came from. The lid is a lot more detailed than the other Crown jars I've seen, so I wondered if there was a reason for that?

Anyway -- here's a few pictures of the jar in question. Sorry in advance for their quality, I'm still learning how to photograph clear glass!

image(47).jpg image(48).jpg image(49).jpg image(50).jpg

It's about 9 inches tall and (I think) holds about a half gallon. There's an 8 printed on the top lid in the center, and a 5 on the side of the jar. The only marks on the bottom are a "LOH" (or HO7??). There's no year printed.

I appreciate any help! Thank you!!

CB

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a canning jar so it could have been used for any food. The markings on the bottom show it was a machine made jar. Other than that I have no idea! If you like it, thats all that matters. I think the only reason the top was fancy was to look more attractive than the other brands (like Mason jars).

OP
OP
C

collectorbee

Jun 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! It really is a great jar and I'm looking forward to finding more!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread