pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question about what tools some might use to probe through a gravel / asphalt layer? I have heard of a thumper that will start a larger hole through the top layer then you can use your probe like normal. I believe that the thumper is like a slide hammer from what I have heard.

Does anyone have any pictures or links for what works? I have come across more than one instance where one of these would be awesome. :)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have know Idea how your going to probe below asphalt easily! I've driven pins into it for concrete forms. So, I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing what your wanting to do. Most time the gravel or ground below the asphalt is so compact it's harder than the asphalt! If your wanting to remove sections, Say a 6x6 inch square or bigger as an example, An electric jack hammer with a wide chisel type bit will work. Or a Chisel, and a 8lb sledge with the handle cut short, so you can swing it with one arm while holding chisel with the other. Not sure if I understand what your doing and might be way off in suggestions for what your wanting. :laughing7:

Ohhh, we have also used cordless drills to drill through it, depending how thick. Might depend on how hot it is too! It might get a little gooey! :laughing7:

As an example....Are you saying metal detecting. Then locating the target? Or just getting through the layer for wire or locating pipe etc.... I would imagine you could make a type of slide hammer that would beat through it with a rod and point on the end. Maybe they do sell something like that.:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to probe under gravel that has been dumped on a few lots we have been hunting. Generally the ground is not super compacted below the gravel because the gravel will lock together to form a very tight cap while allowing the ground under it to remain relatively loose. It has been my experience that just getting through the gravel will reveal good pits on some of these lots.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, your talking about a big hole to get to the pit? Locating, them you could drive a rod through. We used 2ft and longer pins that had a point. About three quarter inch thick. Then drive it in with a 8lb handle cut down sledge. You really wouldn't have to cut the handle. We just did because we used them like that everyday. or Even a good cordless hammer drill with a masonary bit will go through pretty fast too. Depending...

OHHHH, almost forgot to mention! If you try this do not drive a bent pin in, and make sure you have a big enough pipe wrench to spin your pin back out if it gets stuck!(they do, and will):laughing7:

Hopefully, someone will come along that knows of a much easier way!:laughing7: Also I see your from the west, I have no experience that way, and it might be different.

Home depot sells what I'm talking about. It would be a cheap try!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3-4-in-x-36-in-Round-Steel-Stake-06181/202094307

Last edited:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi. unless there is a 1000.00 pontul under there I'd say forgetabout it.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas powered chop-saw with a diamond blade. Cut out a square. Dig the gravel out of the way. Prove. Dig privy. Put back contents. Tamp. Put back gravel. Tamp. Use a bag or two of asphalt patch. Tamp. Enjoy.

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past two years I have run into the problem with gravel covering my privy lines. I am determined this year to come up with a solution. I know there are privies under the gravel because I have gotten lucky a few times and hit the edge of one right near the worse of the gravel. So if I can come up with a solution that is not too rough then I will be able to open up a few more sites again.

I will post pictures when I come up with a solution. :) In the meantime, Good luck and happy hunting all. :D

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need help let me know. Im in upstate new york. I can show you what i mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread