number twenty

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just found this nice Dr. Jayne's at my beach spot. It was buried in the clay with only one panel showing. I had to dig it out with broken pieces of an old mason jar that were nearby. This makes bottle number twenty from this spot, all of a similar age, found over about four years time. I am not really sure why I keep finding these bottles right in place here...I am aware of the history of the site and there are two intact brick lined privys right close but they are not the source of these bottles. Just aint for sure why so many bottles would accumulate in a single spot on my beach and be sunk into the clay. I am sure there are a lot more to find too. gotta wait for the winter storms to pound things up a bit.

ingredients were opium, ipecac and digitalis....that would cure any cough!

Attachments

• DSC00504.JPG
    DSC00504.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00506.JPG
    DSC00506.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00507.JPG
    DSC00507.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 96

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey uncle mac, how have you been? Maybe they are already there and the tide keeps eroding the clay away to expose them?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
yes indeed they are...but how did they get there in the first place? This is too big an area to be a privy washout...we are talking about an area the size of your living room...and at the MOST these bottles were at one time only up to 3 feet deep, and I really doubt that depth too.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were probably tossed there. Saw a similar situation a couple years ago locally. A friend found a slew of bottles about 50 ft behind the old house place and about 25 behind the privy. There was no depression or hole. The bottles were just tossed into an area and over 125 years was covered with natural debris like leaves, straw, etc. he found them while metal detecting. Uncovered about 30-40 bottles total, all couple of inches under the ground

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
that makes a lot of sense. there was an old hut at this site when it was above the tide line 80 or so years ago. As a kid we used to pick daffodils on this spot that is now covered by seaweed with each new tide. So, used and just tossed aside?...over time...and of course, what else are you gonna do it is not as if there was garbage pick up 100 years ago.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure would like to see the beach location again next time you make a visit

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011