epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... heh... You sure that I am "100%" "wrong"... ? ? ?

I believe it is YOU that is wrong.
Need a better picture to prove I am "wrong"...? ? ?

HERE ---> !

Early Macomb Pottery Canning Crock Lid Stoneware Jar Primitive | eBay

View attachment 1215154
So your source is a one line description from Ebay by someone who may have no clue what he's talking about? I love you novices who spread misinformation on a topic even though you have no clue about what you're professing to know. Check the Google images for Stoneware Thermos that I linked above, educate yourself just a little, you come across as foolish when you know nothing about a subject but continue to proclaim you're correct , and in the process you get others who know nothing to think you're correct. I guess all the images I posted are Photoshopped..... LOL

OP
OP
metaldetecta

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone! I appreciate all the help.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeez.

Sounds like a play yard pishing contest.

Think maybe you're both correct? Huh?
No calling it a football wouldn't be right either, it's the stoneware liner to a thermos style cooler, am I supposed to agree with misinformation? He's wrong, I've seen them up close and personal. I'm not going to just agree to be kind, while it's nothing important the truth still matters to some of us.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...
Here is yet another "wrong" person then...

Vintage 9 Stoneware Crock Fruit Pickle Jar Glazed Interior Rough

lg_MVC_002S.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S
So your source is a one line description from Ebay by someone who may have no clue what he's talking about? I love you novices who spread misinformation on a topic even though you have no clue about what you're professing to know. Check the Google images for Stoneware Thermos that I linked above, educate yourself just a little, you come across as foolish when you know nothing about a subject but continue to proclaim you're correct , and in the process you get others who know nothing to think you're correct. I guess all the images I posted are Photoshopped..... LOL
Your Photos are great. They're all covered over with aluminum or other metal so we have absolutely no idea what the inside of any of your examples might look like.

Oh, and I love your condescending attitude. It plays well here.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
S Your Photos are great. They're all covered over with aluminum or other metal so we have absolutely no idea what the inside of any of your examples might look like.

Oh, and I love your condescending attitude. It plays well here.
I call it honesty, refuting someone who spreads BS about what an item is should always be something we strive for, AARC has no clue what he is talking about. Which is why you see the links to the Ebay cannings jars I posted show GLAZED outsides on that kind of jar, it's all about the sanitary need for food items

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay listings for "stoneware canning jar", NOT ONE has an unglazed outside, AGAIN this was for sanitary conditions, the thermos liner didn't need to be glazed because the surface was under the metal cover and they weren't meant to store food, just liquids while camping or sporting events and the like. I'm sorry that my "proof" blows your two examples out of the water AARC, but it's because I'm correct and you're not, so it's easy to come up with so many examples proving my point.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Antiques-/20081/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=stoneware+canning+jar

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
AARC it's easy to understand why you would confuse one for the other since they do look similar, so if I came off too harsh I apologize, but if you look at the Macomb jars on Ebay you will see that while they look alike that all the Macomb jars are glazed inside and our for sanitary canning purposes. If what I've listed, posted and linked isn't enough to prove to you that I know what I am talking about than there's no more for me to say on the matter. People who don't know better will continue to list them on Ebay and Pintrest incorrectly, and that's not a fight I'm up to taking on.... lol

Again I'm sorry if I came off like D-bag, but I'm against spreading misinformation when it comes to collectibles and antiques, it hurts everyone in the hobby.

macomb stoneware jar in Antiques | eBay

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lots of drama for a piece worth less than $20:hello:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
lots of drama for a piece worth less than $20:hello:
For me it's not about an items value, identifying objects incorrectly isn't good for any hobby, is it only important if an item is worth thousands to identify it correctly? For me the answer is no, but as I said to AARC I'm sorry if I was condescending or abrasive...:occasion14:

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique RAW Unglazed Stoneware Crock Fruit JAR With Tobacco Spit Glaze Feature | eBay Here is one that is unglazed

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is what a later one looks like when they added the pouring spout to the top. As you can the metal outside has been removed leaving just the spout and the remains of the metal top.... macomb stoneware jar in Antiques | eBay

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 77
  • jug1.jpg
    jug1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 72

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC it's easy to understand why you would confuse one for the other since they do look similar, so if I came off too harsh I apologize, but if you look at the Macomb jars on Ebay you will see that while they look alike that all the Macomb jars are glazed inside and our for sanitary canning purposes. If what I've listed, posted and linked isn't enough to prove to you that I know what I am talking about than there's no more for me to say on the matter. People who don't know better will continue to list them on Ebay and Pintrest incorrectly, and that's not a fight I'm up to taking on.... lol

Again I'm sorry if I came off like D-bag, but I'm against spreading misinformation when it comes to collectibles and antiques, it hurts everyone in the hobby.

macomb stoneware jar in Antiques | eBay

epackage...
No apologies needed... you did not strike me as anything...
I am always open to "info"... but as Einstein once said... "theory must never contradict empirical fact"... :)

Fact is ... I found the exact one MORE than once... and just repeated / copied pasted the info... thats it.
I made no claim to knowledge of this item NOR its authenticities of said item... I only passed along the according to you apparently "wrong" info IF that turns out to be in fact the case.

Beings I have spent my entire life surrounded by antiquities of various forms... I too have a great appreciation for "right info" on a "piece".
My expertise does not lie in the "crock and bottle" world... BUT... I have handled and or owned a 100 crocks and seen a thousand...

SOme SO rare... they were the ONLY ones known.
IN fact... that reminds me...
I have 2 now that have remained un-identified for 5 years now. (no I am not what is it'ing them now)(maybe soon though).

PS> I will tell you this since your prolly curious...
They are both identical...
12 inches high...
Wire hasps...
With lids...
glazed interiors...
And filled 3/4's of the way with glazed "pellets" as I call em.

My "guess" has always been the same... Kraut jars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread