epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a 1820's Enoch Wood Passaic River Falls gravy boat to go along with the soup tureen, it didn't come with the lid or the base plate, but these are very rare indeed. I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it or not because the sky has a lot of blue in it instead of white, I think they used too much blue glaze around the top and it bled down into the sky. Still a beautiful piece and as I said very rare, sadly I may never find another, so sending this one back to the seller is a tough call.

modify_inline.gif
index.php

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible, there's the waterfall right on it. Woooshh, back in time you go, eh?

Heck epackage, that's a tough choice. Like you said, you might never see one again. You might always feel like your collection was 1 short of what it could have been - that's a bit dramatic maybe, but for a collection as significant as yours, hey, it's the oldest thing you have...!!!

I can see what you mean about the blue, but to me it doesn't necessarily take away from anything. We could easily convince ourselves that it is a sticky steamy midsummer evening at the falls depicted here, just after a heavy rain or storm, and the sun is trying to stab through the thick cloud, and the mist up from the churning water and the evaporation off the hot wet rock obscures our view - this was honestly my first impression, mostly owing to the blue glaze in the sky. And maybe there are fewer like this, with a dark sky like that, which might make it very unique.

I wonder what the chances of finding the lid and everything in one place are. Maybe holding onto this piece would give you a fighting chance at eventually getting all of them separately. And it's definitely a big, integral part. I mean, this thing holds the gravy!!! It's like you're half the way there.

If you bought it recently, I guess the longer you wait, the more reluctant the seller is going to be about giving you your money back. But, lid and base plate or not, just for now or whatever, just as a stand-alone piece, this thing is BEAUTIFUL.

Think long and hard about it and you'll be fine!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you gotta keep it.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible, there's the waterfall right on it. Woooshh, back in time you go, eh?

Heck epackage, that's a tough choice. Like you said, you might never see one again. You might always feel like your collection was 1 short of what it could have been - that's a bit dramatic maybe, but for a collection as significant as yours, hey, it's the oldest thing you have...!!!

I can see what you mean about the blue, but to me it doesn't necessarily take away from anything. We could easily convince ourselves that it is a sticky steamy midsummer evening at the falls depicted here, just after a heavy rain or storm, and the sun is trying to stab through the thick cloud, and the mist up from the churning water and the evaporation off the hot wet rock obscures our view - this was honestly my first impression, mostly owing to the blue glaze in the sky. And maybe there are fewer like this, with a dark sky like that, which might make it very unique.

I wonder what the chances of finding the lid and everything in one place are. Maybe holding onto this piece would give you a fighting chance at eventually getting all of them separately. And it's definitely a big, integral part. I mean, this thing holds the gravy!!! It's like you're half the way there.

If you bought it recently, I guess the longer you wait, the more reluctant the seller is going to be about giving you your money back. But, lid and base plate or not, just for now or whatever, just as a stand-alone piece, this thing is BEAUTIFUL.

Think long and hard about it and you'll be fine!
Leaning towards keeping it until a whole example comes up out of the deep dark shadows, it'll go nice with the matching soup tureen I have....

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking too. Keep it until (if) a better one comes along. Then you could upgrade.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's the oldest thing you have. It's important. There's the darn waterfall right there on it! How many jugs or bottles y'got that have the falls right on it? Right? I think you've gotta coast with it, anyway. If you're not dying of hunger, hold onto it for a while and you could find the rest. 'No doubt that blue will translate well if you find the lid and the rest. It should look just fine, better than fine.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to see a picture of this thing in natural light, epackage!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread