coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hudson's Bay co jug

DSC01103.JPG DSC01102.JPG Acquired this jug, any age info would be appreciated. I've never seen this one before. Hudson's Bay Co, Nelson, British Columbia. Thanks for looking!

S

stefen

The HBC was chartered in 1670 but cannot find when they began selling liquor in jugs in the Pacific NW.

Assumed it was transported to Colorado in recent times...maybe?

There are several jugs on ebay but are a different style and from turn of the century (late 1800's to early 1900's)

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful jug, coloradocav1. 'Love that shape and colour. It looks like it's got a backwards 'D' error there! 1880s maybe? No idea really, just getting in on the guessing game.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know the age but its an outstanding jug ! That's a keeper for sure !

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool display jug, any marks on the bottom ?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if that is a real trade piece, and it could be, it is one cool jug

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
That is an interesting jug. One thing about the debossing nags at me. Somehow, this doesn't appear to be an impression on damp clay in the manner these stoneware items are typically marked. Other debossing I've seen has been filled in, sometimes even obscured, by slip applied over a stamp.

Are the letters cut into the body? . . . That is, is the dark slip on the surface of the jug cut through after the jug was fired? That would be a daunting task, but not impossible, I imagine.

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not sure, I'll take a closer looksee. Thanks you. Harry, are you a fossil guy as well?

OP
OP
coloradocav1

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The letters look cut into the body. I e-mailed the museum in Nelson B.C. and they told me that the Hudson Bay Co did not build a store there until 1892. Which I read differently while researching. 1892, Kind of a bummer on the date, but I still love the jug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread