Picking Up The Pieces: Lets See Your Best Repurposes and Repairs!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow RelicDude, beautiful colour on that Hopkins, I totally agree. I wonder if for that batter jug you could make a shallow circular mould, probably even just with a flexible cardboard ring (maybe from a cereal box) wrapped around the bottom edge, and tape around that to make sure nothing bleeds out, and just tape it down on another piece of cardboard as a working surface and to avoid mess, and just slowly pour in a 1/4 inch of plaster of Paris from the top, or just watch it fill until it matches the thickness of that remaining chunk you have on the bottom there. That stuff dries white and hard as rock. Remove the tape and cardboard ring, and it'll probably look sloppy, but no worries, take a fine high grit sandpaper and work your away around the perimeter and along the bottom until you've reached the shape. Then mix up a bit of paint and try to match the same colours and tones you've got here, doesn't have to look perfect. Anyway that's the way I might try it if I were to make an attempt!

I haven't looked at too much repaired glass aside from what you guys have showed me and it actually looks awesome, gives it a lot of character. An attic mint bottle is so shiny and perfect and it looks like it was made just yesterday, and that kind of takes you back in time like you were the one who just bought the bottle from the sundries store, but these stitched together Frankenstein things almost seem more like artifacts or something, y'know? Like they could be in a museum alongside statues with missing legs and noses and that sort of thing, haha!

Thanks I think I'll try that. Then I'll post the results.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it in a really urban disgusting river and was already cracked, just holding on in the mud. Came apart when I cleaned it and glued it back. Looked whole when I pulled it out and I was so pissed when I saw the damage.

Still a good save I would of taken it too.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude! I love that you're thinking about trying it! But, I hope that I'm not leading you to a bad result or something, I've never tried a pour quite like that. It's a beautiful jug without the repair. Hey, the thing is, you can break the plaster of Paris away and get to about where you started if it doesn't work out - you can try again and again. So, if the mix doesn't work the first time or something, be careful and break it away slowly with a spike or something. If you're going to go for it, I guess it's my responsibility now to say: set the jug down, bend a flexible worked-in ring of cereal box cardboard around the edge, tape it at the top of the cardboard ring to the jug body, and to the cereal box board base underneath, and that should stop the leaking. Leave it for 48 hours to dry, or even more just to be safe. You can start with a low grit sandpaper to get through all the rough stuff, but then go fine high grit when you get close to the jug body. I used a fine high grit on the pitcher in my original post here, and it didn't affect the glaze whatsoever. Just take your time and it'll be okay if you move your hands right. As for the paint, I don't have experience with what paints will go on the plaster well or anything. I'm an eyeballer at heart, so, I just go for it. Colourwise I think it should dry pretty true on the white base that you'd have.

It's a bit of fun if you want to try, but again, you've got a great piece there that displays nice without the bottom, so it's in your hands!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna post a lone picture of this but then I thought it might be better here in this thread, I think this would count as a repurpose. Yesterday I had my first sort of dig, more like a scrape really, I didn't have any tools or gloves with me but I spotted some glass from the old road and ended up getting sucked in for an hour. I found some modern glass, some old, and I'm going back today. I took this home yesterday though, a little early machine-made extract with some amethyst colour. I've found so many bottles with moss in them before and always wanted to cork one up like a little terrarium, so I thought this would be a good way to start the year, hopefully it acts as a good luck charm!

DSCF5750c.jpg

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna post a lone picture of this but then I thought it might be better here in this thread, I think this would count as a repurpose. Yesterday I had my first sort of dig, more like a scrape really, I didn't have any tools or gloves with me but I spotted some glass from the old road and ended up getting sucked in for an hour. I found some modern glass, some old, and I'm going back today. I took this home yesterday though, a little early machine-made extract with some amethyst colour. I've found so many bottles with moss in them before and always wanted to cork one up like a little terrarium, so I thought this would be a good way to start the year, hopefully it acts as a good luck charm!

View attachment 1275446

I had something like that for a while with plants that were already growing in it. Put it on the window sill and watered it occasionally.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping that the moss will use the moisture that is already in the bottle to sustain itself, like an enclosed self-replenishing water cycle, but we'll have to wait and see if that pans out, 'might have to give it a drink at some point!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread