Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Y'all,

I thought I'd share my first privy dig with you guys, from October 23rd, 2015. Since I shared that repaired transferware pitcher with you I might as well show you what else I found that day. One thing I do regret is not taking enough pictures. But I was having so much fun that I wasn't even thinking, I was just right in the zone, felt like a little child, perfectly content digging through old human excrement.

So this privy was at an old home site. It appears on a map from the mid 1870s, but people had likely been living there earlier. There are some old fragmented foundations and a cellar hole, but all the archaeology has been compromised, the foundations were all bulldozed and the whole place was apparently set on fire - the soil is black with ash within the foundations, burnt boards and beams everywhere, etc. I think the bricks were taken away and reused. There is also a well there, and I would love it if any of you have some tips on retrieving from wells.

I got my dad to make a stainless steel probe about 4 feet long, and I went and walked around what I guess would have been the backyard, now all weeded over and with scattered chunks of iron and brick everywhere. I came up to a pretty big walnut tree and noticed a shallow depression beside it, and though I had no experience with finding privies I had a pretty good feeling about this. I took the probe and went down into it, and it definitely had that sandy ashy feel. I probed around the edges and found it to be much harder to penetrate, and the soil is full of clay here so that helps to more easily discern between what feels natural and what's been disturbed. I also thought I could feel the probe running into some thin bits of stuff that I thought might be glass or china.

So I took my shovel and started digging and once I got about a foot down I knew I was in business. I was getting some glass bits and a bunch of ashy soil. Anyway, it ended up being a nice old wood-lined privy, about 6 or 7 feet deep. I dug through about 3 or 4 feet of clay at the bottom, after the wooden walls had stopped, to make sure I wasn't in a cap - I hope that the wood stopping is a good sign that you're at the bottom. The clay at the bottom was hard like it naturally is and it looked consistent in colour and everything, so I always reassure myself that I reached the bottom. PLEASE TELL ME I REACHED THE BOTTOM! haha

So, these are in the order that I found them from left to right. First we've got a beautiful little paneled bottle, I really like this one. The glass is sooo thin, like a candy or lozenge that has been sucked on so long that you can break it with the weight of your tongue. This thing is a beautiful bubbly lozenge, got a nice wavy whittle to it too.

Next we've got a Depew's Humor Ointment. It's super wavy and bubbly, and it's got a sheared and ground lip. I was surprised to find this, it's my second Depew bottle.

Then we've got a great little chemical bottle blown in the tiniest ever three-piece mould. Goes nicely with my larger three-piece chems from the same era.

Last we've got a stunner. I was gathering my things and packing up to leave, and I was scooping out some loose dirt to have the hole nice and cleared out and ready for the next day (I had already reached the bottom but hadn't bothered trying to puncture the potential cap yet, and I was going to save filling everything in for the next day because I was exhausted). As I was taking a scoop of dirt out I saw a white flash that was immediately covered again by some dirt sliding back down. Right away I was like 'that's some milk right there', and I just had this feeling that it was gonna be whole. I used one hand to hold back the sliding dirt and the other to slowly wiggle this lovely tooth out of the earth, and this is deeeep, right dead center in the very bottom, so darn fun. A Hagan's Magnolia Balm. But yeah it's got a nice drippy lip, it's all strawed out n' wavy, and it just looks so darn good on the shelf, such an interesting contrast with other glass. Climbing out of the hole I remembered this white albino sparrow that I saw on the hike in, it was the first and only case of albinism I've ever seen in an animal, and I just thought that that bird and this bottle were the perfect bookends to such a great day. I was absolutely elated.

There were so many other broken things. Gins, wines, meds, cups, plates, bean pots, fruit jars, a lot of heart breakers. But, I was more than happy with this stuff, and just so happy that I could have the chance to do it. I hope that I can do it again soon, I had so much fun. I'll be sure to take more pictures next time!

DSCF5182.JPG DSCF5199.JPG DSCF5210.JPG DSCF5143c.jpg DSCF5220.JPG DSCF5406.JPG

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles you found.I went today it was bust ground rock solid I was leaving the area I noiced a 1915 license plate stuck in a tree could get out grow around it.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks john glassman. Yeah it's been pretty mild here lately, most of the snow is gone, but the ground is still solid. Can not wait for that first scrape!

Davecourt

Greenie
Jan 12, 2016
ontario
Detector(s) used
F75 ltd s.e.
A.T. PTO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!
Can't wait till this ground thaws and hopefully I can start getting some goodies.
Dave

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
great story, well told!

westKYdigger

Greenie
May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story, well written. You did everything right. I would say that you did get to the bottom. If the wood walls stop & the bottom clay looks the same as the dirt in the walls around it, you're done. Farm privies usually don't have as much in them as city privies. The farmers would rather fill up ravines with their trash than fill up a privy & have to dig another one. That being said, you might want to check the fields & creeks around the homestead for their dump.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excellent story, well written. You did everything right. I would say that you did get to the bottom. If the wood walls stop & the bottom clay looks the same as the dirt in the walls around it, you're done. Farm privies usually don't have as much in them as city privies. The farmers would rather fill up ravines with their trash than fill up a privy & have to dig another one. That being said, you might want to check the fields & creeks around the homestead for their dump.

very true....it is not as if they had garbage pickup and and a lot of trash couldn't be burned.

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottles you found.I went today it was bust ground rock solid I was leaving the area I noiced a 1915 license plate stuck in a tree could get out grow around it.
You can have a plan B some farm had massive attachments to the main house where the winter privy is located . I have seen several place with them

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I think I did get to the bottom, thank you for the reassurance, haha! The wood lining stopped and the clay was very hard and looked natural like the walls, and like you said westKYdigger, it's not like some 20ft deep brick-liner would be out on a farm.

How long would a 6ft deep privy last a family of 6 though? I'm wondering if there are others around the house. The trouble is, it's like the whole place has been bulldozed and leveled, because I probed and hit a shattered fruit jar in the middle of no where, and other bits of bottles in random places. I have found spots where there were more bits than usual, but then those spots proved to be fruitless too. I'm really hoping to find an old trash pit, I think that all the random bits have come from the trash pit being pushed around in the leveling process. I've seen a few pontiled bottoms there before, so I know there's old stuff there, I just have to stumble upon it. This spring I'm gonna go in before the grass stands up too tall and I'll make more observations about the ground surface and the lay of the land.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just loved it, thanks for sharing!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this property dates to 1870,in my opinion there is 1 or more additional privies on this property. They should be close to the one you just dug.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass, yeah I think there's gotta be another somewhere. I've made a quick little map of the place so you guys can tell me what you think. P1 is the privy I dug. There are some interesting features, like big odd shrub patches, and a shallow depression that I've dug some metal out of but might try to go deeper. The barn and silo are all collapsed in just like the house. I think the other privy could be near the cart path like the first one.

farm.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hm....that privy is awful far from the house. Anyway, I think I would search around the dug privy and on both sides of the house, and on the end of the house in the direction of the dug privy. Just imagine if there was a foot of snow on the ground. Would you want to walk very far? If there is a privy on the same side as the well, it won't be within 15 ft of the well. Oh, one more question, which direction does the wind usually blow on this map?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Bass, it's probably closer to 50ft, I'm trying to picture the distance by memory, but yeah it's definitely not 75ft now that I think of it. The well is at the west side of the house (top of the map is east, oops). I'm pretty sure the well side is the front side of the house. I'd think the wind comes out of the west most often.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice story and pics. I love to read good ones like this when its cold and snowy. Keeps me dreaming of spring. Yep I would be poking near that pit for the next one. There will be another one for sure. Those old farms didn't have indoor plumbing till at least the 30's. Keep on probing! Bring us some more stories please. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread