ontario
Detector(s) used
F75 ltd s.e.
A.T. PTO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.
New to bottle digging.
I can't find info on a couple bottles, they're nothing special, but I'd still like info.
First is a 2 handled jug.
Has a pontil mark on the bottom
It's not symmetrical, bubbles in the glass,and the seam stops at the top where the handles and spout start.
20160131_214630.jpg
20160131_214615.jpg
20160131_214607.jpg

the 2nd is a purplish hue, I guess a whiskey type? its got bubbles as well, seams that stop at the top, but isn't in the top.
it has numbers/letters stamped on the bottom.
20160131_214547.jpg
20160131_214534.jpg
20160131_214518.jpg
20160131_214510.jpg
Thanks in advance

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
First one could be a large number of things, could be anything from apple cider to cleaning chemicals. That isn't a pontil scar it's the suction mark from the bottle machine it was made on, they stopped using the pontil process 60-100 years before your jug was made. The other appears to be a ammonia bottle, would have had a paper label.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jug would make an excellent coin bank from the looks of it.

OP
OP
D

Davecourt

Greenie
Jan 12, 2016
ontario
Detector(s) used
F75 ltd s.e.
A.T. PTO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suction mark?
Thanks.
I don't know enough about this stuff, better do a lot more reading.
Thanks for the help.
Dave

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
th15DITQ38 suction scar.jpg ----here ya go :icon_thumleft:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davecourt,

Like epackage said, the mark on the jug is from a machine. It is either a suction mark or an ejection mark. You get suction marks on machines that suck the glass up into the mould and cut off the flow with a blade, and those marks are usually all jagged and rough. You get ejection marks like this on machines that are fed from the top via gravity and where the bottle is popped out of the mould by a rod somewhere in the process. Here is a milk bottle machine that has the unfinished glass glob (parison) being popped out (in Stage 4) so that it can be moved to the milk bottle shaped mould for final forming: https://www.sha.org/bottle/Glassmaking/pressandblow2.jpg Though yours has some roughness around the ring it doesn't look cut to me. I think that this one was probably popped out.

Your second bottle is older, it is not machine-made but hand-blown, probably somewhere around 1910. The seam stops near the top because a glassworker snapped off the blowpipe he used to fill the glass with air and had taken a tool and smoothed the jagged edge into a nice shape. The seam gets smoothed over by the tool: https://sha.org/bottle/Finishes/finishingtool.jpg

If you want to do some more reading I highly recommend this site! https://sha.org/bottle/

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The second looks like a sun bottle too. Sun bottles have manganese in the glass. The longer it's exposed to sunlight, the darker purple it will get. (hence the name sun bottles...lol) Small air bubbles are called seeds, and you'll see these in older hand blown bottles. They can be an indicator of age, but NOT always.......I've seen modern Pier One bottles with all kinds of air bubbles in them......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread