Yet another Gem jar, looking for some info!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Y'all,

I'm not sure why I keep taking home Gem jars, it's not like I have a preference for them or something, but anyway here's yet another. I was torn between this half gallon jar or a Haserot Cleveland quart. This jar was a few dollars cheaper, but what really attracted me was its unusual characteristics. I've uploaded some pictures comparing this Gem to a HFJCo Gem:

The first thing I found strange is that this jar has a much smaller mould base plate compared to the HFJCo Gem. However, they do have the same patent date.

The second thing I found strange was the style of lettering embossed on this jar. The G hooking looks more like a pi symbol than an arrow, and the E has a pointed style that looks almost unrelated. The M doesn't seem as special, though it's set quite far from the G and E - my eyes almost want to read the GE and M separately. I don't think I've ever seen this embossing on a Gem jar before, and I searched Google for hours and found nothing.

These jars do share the same patent date and a VERY similar body shape. My current theory is that this is a HFJCo jar. Maybe it's a transitional jar of some sort?

Well, let me know what you guys think, and I'll probably be callin' on DiggerinVA again for his Red Book, haha. Thanks for looking everybody!

DSCF6170.jpg DSCF6143.JPG DSCF6147.JPG DSCF6149.JPG DSCF6150.JPG DSCF6153.jpg

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most info on gem , are out of Canada , but I was once tolled they were made in a new jersey glass house . if yours is Canadian it's from dominion glass co. 1890s . I am not satisfied with this information , so I am going to keep looking.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh the bottom are stamped with Patent November 26th 1967 ....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think you have a unique a 20160312_165440.jpg nd interesting version of a 1053 jar.....but here is the 1 1/2 pages of "gem" jars listed in the Redbook. So you can decide for yourself.... 20160312_165456.jpg

Sorry for sideways pics.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I guess #1053 seems like the best bet, out of these two pages anyway. I wish they included more specific descriptions about the varieties of lettering, but there were probably a lot of unique moulds that made the "same" jar. I'll keep looking and if I don't find anything, I guess in a way that's a good thing!

Thanks yet again DiggerinVA! You're the man.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has a large amount of Mason's Patent jars in her collection.....many of them are the same number in the Redbook but have obvious differences making them unique. This is what makes old mason jars so collectible! And you are very welcome....anytime!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, yeah I bet this happens a lot. Haha, it's neat to think that each jar/bottle has its own brothers and sisters (from the exact same parent mould) and cousins (from a slightly different aunt/uncle mould meant to look the same).

Thanks again to you and the wife!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread