Please Help Identifying These

mike_at_sea

May 8, 2007
Hi All. This is my first post on Treasure Net and I hope someone will be able to help me in identifying these pieces of glass. They have been in our possession for about 15 years and came to us in a box of antiques brought to my wife's store in Melbourne Florida. In that time I have made various efforts to try to figure out what these are. We have had them at the Antiques Roadshow where none of the appraisers had any idea what they are used for. We have taken them to various antique shows in different parts of the country without success. I have contacted different bottle collectors clubs, museums, glass clubs and have had various answers such as a light covers to pickle jars. I have been told that they are old (1830's style glass blown into wooden molds) and that they are new (no pontil marks on bottom) reproductions of earlier pieces. No one has been able to tell me what they are reproductions of or why someone would bother to reproduce something that no one can recognize or has any use for. I have more than a dozen emails with different guesses.
You can see from the pictures that they are slightly different colors with swirls, bubbles and inclusions in the glass work. The tops have been ground down to a uniform height from what appears to be some type of former lip. The backs are flat as if they backed up to something like a shelf. The design on the glass is a three-toed eagle which I believe is an old design. The mold marks are easy to see on the sides and the bottom of the pieces.
Any help or guesses as to what these are or what they were used for would be greatly appreciated. I don't know whether to use them for planters or lock them away in a safe deposit box. If they are reproductions of some earlier pieces what were the original pieces for? Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge with us.
Mike

Attachments

• Glass Front View.jpg
    Glass Front View.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Glass Width.jpg
    Glass Width.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Glass Top View.jpg
    Glass Top View.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Glass Eagle close up.jpg
    Glass Eagle close up.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 341

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
I have one of these jars and its supposed to be a snuff jar,but I have my doubts about them being original.I purchased it because I collected eagle bottles.I suspect them to be modern window jars.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
I'm not to sure there fantasy. The one on right looks like an old one. Batch of glass was not completely mixed. They may be Xmas tree lights that had candales in them. Are they pontiled? DHG

OP
OP
M

mike_at_sea

May 8, 2007
Thank you all for taking the time to share your expertise with me. Your posts answered a lot of questions I had about them. They are pretty and we have them displayed with some other glassware in our dining room. We have kept them all these years because we do like them and the mystery of what they actually were. Thanks again to all of you. Now I know where to post if I have any more bottle or glassware questions.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread