NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was wrong about the jug and I was wrong about the fruit jar but I did get the med! My first Wyeth, nice amethyst colour. It popped up and out of the ground when I was ripping out a length of vine. Surprisingly the big lip is absolutely perfect, and the bottle only has a few very tiny scratches here and there. It was filled with a sticky black sludge, maybe it was reused for some kind of oil, but it took around 4 hours to clean and so it's really satisfying to see it like this. I also took home this W & A Gilbey gin flask with the original cap, not super old but that's okay. And then I found two old Orange Crush soda bottles, nice and heavy, lots of glass. "Pat'd July 20 1920", and the other "Pat'd Aug 22 1921".

I have a few more finds that I'm still cleaning so I'll be sure to show you when they're ready!

DSCF6455.JPG DSCF6458.JPG DSCF6460.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rest of the recent stuff cleaned up, from left to right:

A 'Kendall's Spavin Treatment'. A tiny blown bottle. A nice early ABM Heinz Co. pickle or capers bottle with a light smokey green tint and a mandolin kind of shape, I really like that one. A small sample size Listerine. A Rawleigh's med. In the back, an English liquor bottle of some sort with an applied finish. In front, a small cube-shaped ink with sunken panels and a smokey green tint. An old yellow amber ABM chem. A blown 'Bon-Opto For the Eyes'. The W & A Gilbey gin. A small Milk of Magnesia (tablets). The amethyst Wyeth & Bro. A tiny blown vial. A couple of machine-made chems, the amber one has the most seed bubbles I've ever seen. A machine-made whiskey I kept for the red amber colour. A beautiful old salt/pepper shaker with a slight amethyst colour. The two Orange Crush sodas. And last a tiny blown med.

'Still enjoying this spot, getting enough colour and variety to stay entertained. Yesterday I hit a clot of older broken flasks and a nice pepper sauce, and I'm just hoping to eventually find a clot where it's all intact.

DSCF6466.JPG

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Nice finds. Love the amber mange medicine. Fun fact that mange medicine is the first bottle I ever found. That was the bottle that got me into bottle digging. Same exact bottle. Nice finds

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I've never seen one before digging this dump. I have another with a screw top that I didn't clean yet or photograph.

I bet everyone has that sort of connection with a certain bottle, no matter how common. I have fond memories of digging Rawleigh's bottles when I first started out and so they always get me excited, still hoping to find a blown one. And I could never get tired of digging those embossed Milk of Magnesias! I've heard these 'tablets' ones are a little more scarce but I don't know if that's true.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From yesterday: first we've got a machine-made med. Then my second amethyst blown shoo-fly flask, a pint like my first but darker in colour, from the same maker (they look virtually identical and their mould numbers are 873 and 873A). Then a tiny blown bottle. Then a great little early machine-made 20-sided jam or honey jar of some sort, with a nice pink colour to it, very cool. Then a tiny medicine bottle with a pour spout that says, in French, something like "Bronchalene liquid spray to fight asthma and hay fever". And last a blown condiment/food bottle of some sort, clear.

DSCF6551.JPG

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flask. Are you at the bottom of the dumping ground?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goldenplug, 'nice to finally find one intact! This stuff is coming right from the middle near the big dead willow stump. Today I'm gonna try to dig some more toward the stump, I have a feeling that stuff may have got blocked from flowing down and collected there.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daaaang, two flasks in two days!

This is from yesterday, my first picnic/pumpkin seed flask! This is a clear blown half-pint from 1905-1910, made by the American Glass Works of Pittsburgh. I got such a thrill digging this one, and I don't even wanna talk about the much earlier, dark honey amber heartbreaker! I'm finding this stuff surprisingly shallow, about a foot and a half down right in the middle of the slope.

Anyway I also found a couple of other little things, one of which is this early ABM med or extract, which at first I thought had some serious haze on the inside but on closer inspection rather has thousands of microscopic bubbles going up the length of the body, neck, and finish. Very cool, some of the more interesting glass I've unearthed in a while!

EDIT: BANNER?! But how can it be? Well thanks to whoever nominated this post, and I hope I can find something new to show you soon!

DSCF6555.JPG DSCF6575.JPG DSCF6578.JPG

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice flask too!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries, they cleaned up well! Made similar finds 2 years ago, you have some collectibles in there. Mine were of less quality because some had sick glass.
The Crush bottles are nice, wish you find a brown one, more valuable I think. Thanks for your cool post, GL and HH!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Post!
Glad it made banner or I never would have seen it .

Being a Relic Hunter Mostly 'Guess I'm mainly an Insulator Guy'. Also find mostly Screw Top types ,I'm guessing 1930's -1960's.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The triple-header!!! I went back today thinking, 'let's do it one more time, let's get three, three's a nice round number'. The first flask was good, my first picnic flask was just awesome, and now I've got my first ground lip flask!

Three flasks in three days. At first when I struck the base of this thing I thought it was gonna be a big medicine or chemical bottle because of the straight sides, but sure enough, another flask! It's a full-pint size, a light pink colour, and it is blown. It still has the original cap, which I think is made maybe of pewter or, heck, even lead? It's heavy though. This happened to be the only one single thing I found today, and it was buried with what looked like old floor tiles, gravel, and a bunch of bricks, so it's got a scratch here and there, but it's a miracle triple-header flask for sure!

I'm giving this spot a rest for now - well, at least until after the weekend haha. It's given me a lot to be happy about and I'm not gonna push it. The three-day miracle triple-header is a good note to end on. My big brother's coming down for the weekend, might see if we can find a privy or a different dump!

DSCF6580.JPG DSCF6581.JPG DSCF6587.JPG

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Glass And Banner!!! Red is In Love with It Chug

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Congrats. What a haul! Would love to see a picture of the entire group together!
After a good rain, All I find in my creek are the remaining shards of the old bottles, though sometimes large, and broken insulators. Maybe I should dig...

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CheathamHill, you should! If the water keeps exposing glass in a certain spot, there's a good chance that there's more underneath!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love old insulators, yours is the first I have seen dug here on Tnet.... Congrats on finding a great spot!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find them often not so much anymore. Seems most had "Hemmingray " or something like that on them. Cool stuff for sure!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I gather the Hemingrays are more common in the States, and in Canada we have one from Dominion Glass that is of a similar shape but usually some kind of yellowish off-clear colour, not nearly as nice to look at!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice!!!! I love insulators. I once found a few nice green ones on the side of a railroad. Congrats on that nice one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread