NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah RelicDude it still had the pewter cap screwed on! Once I saw the cap I realized it was a flask and not a big med.

Go!d&$ilver

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you look at the first picture look at the amber med on the far right. You will see a ghostly image. Looks like Ben Franklin. See it? Weird!

That's totally Ben! Most ghost images are all blurry, but that's an HD ghost right there.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big congrats on making the banner. That's a fine insulator specimen if I ever saw one. Love the old bottles as well.
But......

Okay maybe I'm missing something but what makes this particular insulator a banner find?? Not that I have anything whatsoever against it because I do not but I know where I can pick up so many of these things you wouldn't believe it. They're still relatively plentiful along the railroad in my area if you're willing to walk a ways and poke around in the dirt and weeds for a little while. I have a few nice ones myself and my favorites are the blue/green variety.

We used to shoot them all the time along the tracks back in the 70's. They made excellent targets for BB's and .22's. Glass is always fun to shoot as opposed to metal. At least it was in those days.

I also have a few glass bottles that were used to hold battery oil for crossing signal lights. They're marked "Edison Electric Inc." (as I recall; I know the name "Edison" is definitely on there). They had a metal cap like an old soda bottle. Here's an example pic from Google that's similar to mine:

Edison Electric.jpg

I know where I can pick up at least a dozen more on a bad day. Apparently they used millions of these bottles back in the day and they were typically just tossed aside and like the insulators, aren't too difficult to come across if you know where to look. A friend of mine found about 100 of these in one spot a couple of years ago.

So anyway, I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the insulator.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the insulator alone was why it was nominated, but yeah I was just as surprised, because there was a lot of other great stuff happening on this forum when this went up.

You're right, there are plenty of nicer insulators out there! And yes they must make good targets, I've spotted them from the ground and climbed up the pole only to find that they had been shot up!

And I've dug one of those little Edison battery oil bottles, a different variant though.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some great looking glass you dug.
I always had a liking to insulators as at Xmas time we put lights under them on the window sill and lit up the different colours.
The pumpkin seed flasks-what more can one say-but they're awesome.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice dig! haven't seen this post. Must have been before my time here. How did you get this dug glass so clean??

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig! haven't seen this post. Must have been before my time here. How did you get this dug glass so clean??

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier, No gold!

The glass is so clean because it came out of the right kind of soil, this site was pretty much just pure clay - no ash, no nasty crusty rust layers, and very little or no exposure to the elements. Hard heavy clay is a son of a gun to dig in, backbreaking work, but, you can bet that whatever comes out is going to be pretty darn clean. I like to dig clay in the spring and fall. In the summer, it's like chipping at concrete!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread