NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after my hard lesson learned at the new house site, I decided to walk the creek in search of a new dump to try n' get back on the horse.

I whacked through some bush by the side of the road and started walking around the large creek bend, and found a new dump within minutes. It was a typical deep trench trickling down into the creek. There was a massive rotting willow stump half way between the top of the dump and the creek, and everything was above the stump. At first I was finding some faded ACL sodas and a bunch of rusty buckets, but I quickly spotted a cracked machine-made case gin and some beautiful fruit jar bases. I messed around in the very middle and at the top for a while, but noticed that a lot of good glass was coming down from the left side of the trench. There were a lot of pieces of broken jugs, mostly early 20th century but then some beautiful earlier pieces. I eyeballed some broken insulators and some early ABM bits, and fragments of a blown emerald green 'not to be taken' poison. So I started hitting that side of the trench and got some instant results. So here's what we've got. Most of these were only a few inches deep:

First we've got a deep teal Hemingray insulator, I know these are common but it's my first. Then a big boldly embossed aqua Rawleigh's med. Then a 'Glover's Imperial Mange Medicine' from New York, 1920s, I guess it's a scalp and hair treatment, I found a lot of screw tops broken but luckily the older one was intact. Then a couple of blown slicks. Then a 'Kendall's Spavin Treatment for Human Flesh', haha, I have the other 12-sided amber Kendall's but this one I haven't seen. Then a smaller sized Scott's Emulsion. Then one of my favourites of the bunch, a blown, slighty amethyst 'Dr. Low's Pleasant Worm Syrup' from Toronto, for intestinal worms. Then an interesting blown bottle hidden in the back. Then a nice Ed Pinaud toiletry bottle of some sort, Paris, with the original collar and cap. Then an amber med or flask thing that closely resembles a Warner's Safe Cure. And last we have a pretty Great North Western Telegraph Company insulator. Oops, almost forgot the pair of spoons.

I love the variety of sizes, shapes, and colours coming out of this new trench. The Worm Syrup, telegraph insulator and Mange Medicine are probably my favourites.

Looking forward to hitting this spot again!

DSCF6418.JPG DSCF6421.JPG DSCF6423.JPG DSCF6425.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. Glad you were able to get something from that area.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at the first picture look at the amber med on the far right. You will see a ghostly image. Looks like Ben Franklin. See it? Weird!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, man! Holy smokes, good eye Goldenplug, that bottle just went from casual to going somewhere on the shelf. Ghost bottle confirmed.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thanks Bass! I knew I'd get the ball rolling again with some perseverance.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks scruggs and bottlehunterofcoscob! Despite some setbacks it's been a great year so far. We're only gettin' started!

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
If your research is correct there should be an older dump nearby or maybe just deeper in the ditch. Great job on finding a new site.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks cje, I'm thinking there could be some great stuff in there. I'm wishing for a good fruit jar or jug. Since there is so much rotted wood from the dead willow, it's created a layer of loose mushy soil over everything. The plan is to shovel through the huge soft rotting chunks below the stump until I hit the trench bottom, and then work my way around either side of the stump and up the trench and sides. That should keep me busy for a while. Also gonna check out a new house site tomorrow so I've got my fingers crossed for more privy attempts.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice job, I like the insulators. I'm not an insulator guy but we get stoked when we dig them from the privies. Keep at it, older stuff awaits! jgas

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah jgas I've never been an insulator guy either, but what are we gonna do, throw 'em over our shoulders? No way! Instead we take them home and clean them up and admire their beauty and they start to accumulate and take up space while we firmly hold on to the idea that we are most definitely NOT insulator guys...

Haha

Hittin' the trench again today!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i always wonder about the insulators....what are they doing in all these household bottle dumps anyway?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You often see old sites where there are still old poles with insulators that were there to direct the lines from the road down the long driveway to the house. And maybe they even had an old telegraph or telephone, who knows. And when they cleared the lot, down came the poles and the insulators were thrown into the dump with everything else.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so I've been going back to the trench. One day was a bust, and yesterday was actually pretty good. First I got this nice old amethyst Vaseline from deep, and then things went quiet, and then I started hitting some better stuff very shallow near the top left side of the trench. The sun was going down right when it was starting to get good but I know where to start when I return. I was finding blown bottle necks and bases, and some bottles that were almost intact, one of which was a nice amber blob top sherry bottle of some sort. I found the base of a post-bottom mould pickle of some sort that had some good age, and the applied top and shoulders of a case gin with a beautiful yellow amber colour. Anyway I ended up taking home an aqua applied top English liquor bottle of some sort (in the process of cleaning it), a nice abm chem (cleaning), a few tiny blown slicks, and a mess of good fruit jar lids, some HFJco, Rutherford & Co, and those ones that are just covered with patent dates (unfortunately no jars to match though). I also found two broken jugs, one of which I took home to repair for something to do. I'll probably grab the other one another time. I think I'm getting closer to the good stuff! EDIT: oops, 'forgot to include a pic of the 13 pieces of the jug.

DSCF6446.JPG DSCF6439.JPG
DSCF6442.JPG DSCF6443.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Cob! Those repairs are tough, it's hard to get every little bit of dirt out of the breaks and when you set one piece slightly off, things start to snowball. But I can pick the jug up by the handle and it stays together, so that's good enough for me. It's got a few pieces missing but hey, it almost looks more like some fragmented artifact from a museum display or something, haha!

I'm out of town for the weekend but when I get back I'm gonna be sure to get in there and go from where I left off. I have a really good feeling that I'll find a smaller intact crock or jug, or maybe a fruit jar, or if not maybe a nice patent med. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like the little Worm Syrup bottle!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions