Help with Union Pacific Railroad seltzer bottle.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the opportunity to buy a gorgeous dark blue green seltzer bottle. It it has the UP monogram etched I the side. The seller said their was only one on each railroad. He offered it to me for 300. Would it be profitable to buy and resell this bottle? I wish I had the opportunity to keep it! sorry I dont have pictures. If I buy Ill post them! Thanks for any help! HH

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mucho gusto . R R . items are highly sat after . buy it for 250. and then sell it for 500.00 . make a profit !

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd ask the seller to cite his source regarding the uniqueness of this bottle as there being only one per train.
Ask in a manner that would show your interest, not your possible doubt. Uniqueness might create interest, but doesn't relate strongly to value; only demand can do that.
Don......

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'll bite on it. Its driving me crazy. I'll give him some money to hold it and get some pictures. He found it driving around in someones window and offered to buy it. He has 3 pits on his property. Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig this summer.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd ask the seller to cite his source regarding the uniqueness of this bottle as there being only one per train.
Ask in a manner that would show your interest, not your possible doubt. Uniqueness might create interest, but doesn't relate strongly to value; only demand can do that.
Don......

Thanks Mackaydon, He has a collection of seltzers and seems to know the price. I don't gamble much but live near a gambling community. I'll try to get a picture up before I might buy it. Thanks for the post.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also gonna say the one bottle per railroad sounded a bit odd. If that holds true then they are definitely-probably hard to come by, and it might be worth it. Sit back and do some research and see how you feel after that!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Pics!!1

Here is some pictures of that bottle. Google doesn't seem to help. Some of the letters seem shaky. The plastic on the lid looks from the 20s or 30's. The pictures do t do it justice! I apologize for the sideways ones!! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 101

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to be a naysayer but the etching on that bottle is suspect. It is amateurish at best. I am no expert on RR items or etched bottles by any means but I would expect higher quality on a professionally done bottle. The sellers story along with the low quality etching and the fact that RR items are often faked would set alarm bells ringing in my head. If you already purchased it I hope I am wrong, according to my wife I often am.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with 2screwed, the etching doesn't look right...

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input. I have the bottle but will return it in the am. I will offer to sell it for him on ebay!!!! I appreciate your input!!!!! Probably saved me from my pocketbook and my wife:) RR collectors would probably be leary!!! Thanks 2screwed!!!

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your input. I have the bottle but will return it in the am. I will offer to sell it for him on ebay!!!! I appreciate your input!!!!! Probably saved me from my pocketbook and my wife:) RR collectors would probably be leary!!! Thanks 2screwed!!!

I talked with Sue at Railroad Memories and she agrees with my opinion after looking at the pics in the thread. She said if it was from the 30's it would say Overland Route on it instead of having the more modern logo. She also said to feel free to contact her if you want to.

https://www.railroadmemories.com/

BTW, Thanks Sue for actually answering the phone. It was a pleasure to talk with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 2screwed, I appreciate you looking into the bottle. It sure helps me out!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread