Shipwreck Bottle-Hand Blown? What do you think?

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a very similar post in "Todays Find". Thought I would show most of it here in the Bottle & Glass forum to see if I could get a little more information. Hope that was ok.

I found this 44yrs ago near the mouth of the St.Johns river. It was in a sand quarry near the river, close to a small cove. The site is just below Ribault Column where Jean Ribault erected a stone column bearing the coats of arms of his French King Charles IX to claim Florida for France. The Timicuanan Perserve and Ft.Caroline are very close to it.

A friend's big brother, a bottle collector used to take my friends and I digging at the site.

He said it was a spirits bottle that was carried on the old ships, probally held wine, the top was hand blown. He seemed to be an experienced collecor with a huge collection of bottles.

Well I was unpacking an old box & found it today 44yrs later... suprise!

There is a thin seam that goes aroung the bottle & ends at the bottom of the start of the top part.

Do you think he was right about the bottle? Does it have any monetary value?

Attachments

• shipsbottle2.jpg
    shipsbottle2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 101
  • shipsbottle5.jpg
    shipsbottle5.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 97
  • shipsbottle7.jpg
    shipsbottle7.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 108
  • shipsbottle8.jpg
    shipsbottle8.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 100

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Hey Hammer Stone. You have a soda bottle that most likely contained either ginger ale or aerated water. They were made from around 1870 to about 1900, with yours dating closer to 1900. It has some value but but not a lot. Maybe $10. Still a nice bottle though.

OP
OP
Hammer Stone

Hammer Stone

May 19, 2016
Deep Woods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. I suspected it might be a soda bottle :thumbsup:. I was hoping it came over on a sailing ship lol. Still like it though.
Hoping to poke around an old home site next week and maybe find some old medicine bottles. I used to have one called Swamp Root with a still legible box, found at the sight refrenced above. Lost that one too.

Thanks for your help!

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your bottle may have come over in a sailing ship . a lot of these bottles were made in England and ship over here my the thousands !

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunrunner is right, I have exactly the same bottle, found in a old dump and at that period 70% of the population was British in Cleveland County, that's in Quebec. I think those were blown in a mold and the lip was worked manually after.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread