I dug my best bottle: pontil westford glass co sheaf of wheat

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy CRAP!!! Thanks for verification. Epackage had cast some doubt earlier in the post. I knew it was a pontil. Its too round and the concentric rings. Plus bits of sand i think in glass on the inside of the ring? I knew a clearer picture of pontil would solve mystery. Thanks for banner vote dude!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the follow-up photos. Looks good from way over here.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy CRAP!!! Thanks for verification. Epackage had cast some doubt earlier in the post. I knew it was a pontil. Its too round and the concentric rings. Plus bits of sand i think in glass on the inside of the ring? I knew a clearer picture of pontil would solve mystery. Thanks for banner vote dude!
My comment was based on the research showing them listed as "smooth base" only in the McKearin book and the fact that the only example with a pontil scar had a sheared lip and was a yellow olive color, all other listed sales were all smooth base. It may well be a rare example of a pontiled variant, I am waiting to hear back from the king of all flask collectors to get his opinion, which I will relay to you once I hear from him. Either way it's a great find and top shelf material, I'd be proud to own it myself... :occasion14:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently there are only a handful of pontiled examples known, so you did well... congrats

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can now die a happy digger but something tells me that this will only lead to more digging. Thanks for info epackage! I know you know your stuff. I am awe struck.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah man, got bitten again! Will take the kayak and look on the river banks this week-end, lol. I did vote this morning, better late than never.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I can now die a happy digger but something tells me that this will only lead to more digging. Thanks for info epackage! I know you know your stuff. I am awe struck.
OK GoingDigging here is the response from the "world's leading historical flask expert" and another expert, I don't mean to burst your bubble about it being pontiled and I am sorry for all the confusion, either way it's a great flask...

"Hi Jim, here is the answer to your question. There are approximately 8 known half pint GXIII-37's with sheared lips and open pontils. I don't consider your flask as having an open pontil. The examples with the open pontils are tubular open pontils and as stated earlier with sheared lips. I have no idea what made the base of your flask like that. Also, your example does not have a sheared lip. Half pint examples also come with sheared lips and smooth bases. These examples are rather scarce but no where as rare as the open pontiled examples. To the best of my knowledge NO PINTS exist with a sheared lip and open pontil. I have never seen or heard of any examples existing. There are however GXIII-35 pints with sheared lips and smooth bases. These should be considered rarer than their half pint counterparts. To take it one step further, I have never seen a GXIII-36 ( with the small star under the sheaf) with a sheared lip and smooth base. Hope this answer your question. Happy to be of service to our FB flask followers."

"I
t appears that the mold used to have a place for the puntey rod that had since been filled in, causing the spot that looks like a pontil."

"
It's possible that this is a snap case effect. Some versions of the snap case tool have a "pad" protrusion that would engage the bottom of the bottle in addition to the "claw" fingers."

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Jim! Just looking at the photos, it did appear to be a pontil mark (though a very light one). I kind of felt last night we hadn't heard the last about this

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Good work Jim! Just looking at the photos, it did appear to be a pontil mark (though a very light one). I kind of felt last night we hadn't heard the last about this
I wish I hadn't responded until I heard from he guy with the greatest collection of flasks on the planet, it just didn't look right to me from the beginning, but it's a fantastic find for sure...

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roller coaster ride but enjoying it! Thanks for info

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I hadn't responded until I heard from he guy with the greatest collection of flasks on the planet, it just didn't look right to me from the beginning, but it's a fantastic find for sure...

Well, I'll be honest with you, I didn't do any research on the bottle after he posted the photos. I can honestly say after seeing the follow-up photo he posted, I believed it to be a "strangely light" pontil scar. Should have done the research but I'm too lazy. Lol
With that said, pontil scar or not, it's a great flask and worthy of a banner vote

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you're talking about the greatest collection, do you mean Mr. Vuono's? I've seen his collection in person and it was unbelievable!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at examples of sand Pontil marks they are nearly identical to this base. The one I saw was even off to the side like that. The only thing that was skeptical about it was they said they didn't often use that technique in American glassworks. Like you guys said, still quite a find either way, Pontil or no Pontil. Great find.

OP
OP
G

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was a tough call by the looks of it. Still one of the best I ever dug. Both bottles were back to back nearly tied for best finds so far and on same weekend. The Albany ginger beer is in the corner of this post saying 'Marsha marsha marsha!'. I can always count on the collective minds of treasure net members to ID the tough ones. Thanks again and best luck in your own digging endeavors.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning toward the second response "e" posted earlier on this page. I believe the scar was caused by the probability that the mold had a place for the puntey rod that had been filled in causing this spot to look like a pontil scar.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learn something, makes my day. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread