Help with age...barnacle bottle

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Amber flask on a low tide here in Western Wa...the seam goes all the way through the lip indicating a more modern bottle, but the base looks odd...maybe someone could enlighten me. image.jpg I am kinda thinking 1920's? Thanks image.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Barnacles can grow really fast in some places. A bottle like yours, in south Florida anyway, will be completely covered in a few months.

In some island chains, nothing in a couple of years. It depends on your exact location. Look at surrounding dock pilings, or talk to people at a marina near where you found it to see how fast they grow in your area.

In Ft. Meyers there is a tourist shop on the main strip. They throw made in China knock-off's of replica 'relics' in the canal behind the shop. In about 4 weeks they have a really old looking relic on the shelf.

Tourists love 'em.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's inside the Diamond (Illinois Glass Co) logo on the bottom, an "I", "IGCO", or numbers?

Whichever it is, the date is about right. That logo wasn't used after 1929, that's when they merged with the Owens Bottle Company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions