Crawlspace Update:

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,
I said the heck with the detector and sifted thru the dirt like an Arkie looking for a dinosaur bone. :)
I covered an area of about 6' X 8' to a depth of about 6" deep. Down to that level the dirt was really soft, after that
it was the harder, brown clay type soil. Didn't find one coin, trinket, anything other then 5 old rusty nails, and 4 to 5
pieces of small wood chips. I don't think there was much lost here before the house was built.
I poked around were all the broken bottles and glass were, and did find one bottle, and a few other items, but haven't dug into any dirt
there yet. I guess, I'll leave that for another cold winters days...

I figured I'd stick the crawlspace update under Bottles, seeing how thats about all I found.
The bottle says " ONE PINT " across the top center. On the bottom is has, from top to bottom " 478, F, 1 ".
The seem lines on the side go all the way to the top, and over the lip.
I believe I read somewhere on another post, that if the seem line went all the way to the top, the bottle was manufactured
before 1900. ??? Could anyone tell me if this is true? Maybe have an approximate age?
Also, found an old Spoon marked " Vernon Silver Plate ", and 6 of the of the old canning lids.
" GENUINE ZINC CAPS, FOR BALL MASON JARS".
CrawlFinds2.JPG

I still think there's atleast one old coin, or trinket, down there somewhere, and I will find it... ;D

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
I believe I read somewhere on another post, that if the seem line went all the way to the top, the bottle was manufactured
before 1900<<<

Bottles that are seamed from top to bottom are man. by an automatic bottle machine (ABM). I believe this was used beginning 1903.

root

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all, and thanks for the link, Sam
I.m guessing the "F" on the bottom stands for the Fairmont Glass Co. in Fairmont Indiana...
I can't seem to find any other info on them... As for the lids, I coundn't believe how good of condition they were in. I have a few that are better looking than that one, but thats the one I ended up cleaning the other day. There is hardly no corosion on any of them. I guess it's due to the crawlspace being very dry...
Thanks again, & Happy hunting~

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've always wondered what those canning lids look like before they hit the ground! Love that bottle!

Glad you updated us, I was waiting...

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More cool stuff!

Good luck in future digs there and keep us up-dated!

HH

Lonewolfe

M

mattjd

Bottles with the seam line going to the top were made AFTER 1900. Matt

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks again all,,, looks like I had the date thing backwards,,, Thats about the norm... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread