Some QUART hutches in my collection for NJKLAGT....

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
On the middle two shelves are 26 quarts along with the corresponding regular size hutch...

There are 61 documented quarts from Paterson, we have more quart hutches than any one city in the country and all but three states. Only Pennsylvania, New York and Michigan have more quart hutches than Paterson. Part of that is due to the fact David Boyle and a few other Paterson bottlers dated their hutches, adding greatly to the number of different variants...

Display2.JPG

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh right, I've seen this picture before! I particularly like the top shelf. A beautiful collection indeed.

I don't think hutches were nearly as popular a container for beverages in Canada. You see some from the bigger cities but not so many from elsewhere. It seems like you have hutches for every tiny town in America. I think that maybe Canada still preferred the crown or blob or something. I still can't find a Canadian quart hutch online.

Okay, actually, I just checked that HutchBook site, and a David Lemon bottle from Toronto is the 'only known Ontario quart'. And, one of only two hutches from Alberta happens to be a quart. I only searched for a short while, but the Canadian quart hutch must be a pretty uncommon thing - well, let's hope to dig one then!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glorious. You put a tremendous amount of trust in those shelves. I have a similar one in my house. It anchors to the wall by two screws inserted into two plastic anchors. I have it mounted above the tv. One night I was sitting and watching tv and SMASH*...bottles come flying down. Luckily nothing broke but now I only have a few ink bottles up there.

Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glorious. You put a tremendous amount of trust in those shelves. I have a similar one in my house. It anchors to the wall by two screws inserted into two plastic anchors. I have it mounted above the tv. One night I was sitting and watching tv and SMASH*...bottles come flying down. Luckily nothing broke but now I only have a few ink bottles up there.

Oh man that's my worst nightmare. I'm gonna be real careful when I put on shelving

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Goldenplug, you mean like those little plastic plug things that just go into the drywall? Dang man, that's not gonna hold much weight at all. Get that sorted out!

I make my shelves out of wood, they've all got steel brackets, and they all hang on bolts that are screwed into the studs, which is the most important part. I also make them progressively wider as they get higher, because it looks cool, but also so that if anything ever got bumped off it would miss the shelf below and just land on the carpet. I've bumped a bottle off while already holding a bottle, and in the panic I tried to catch it, and the bottle in my hand broke the one that was falling. I loved that bottle, should have just let it drop. I learned to never hold more than one bottle at a time, and to just let it fall if I'm not certain that I can catch it. I could have wiped out a bunch of 'em by flailing my arms for a single bottle, haha! Here is some of my collection. The big top shelf holds way more now, but I took this pic right after I had hung it up and so I quickly threw some stuff on top for looks.

shelves.jpg shelves2.jpg

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
All the shelves I use are actually fireplace mantels, I find them cheap on Craigslist and at garage sales. There is a 2X4 screwed to the wall with two 4" screws per stud and then the shelves are screwed to the 2X4's every ten inches or so. I could stand on them and they wouldn't go anywhere and I'm 6'-3" 285. The best part is they are about 9" deep so there's a lot of room on them and I never worry about vibration walking a bottle off the front edge. I highly recommend them if you can get them cheap. I have 9 of them and have spent a total of $120 on them, in the store they average $175-250 each depending on size.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great idea. Can't be too careful when you've got bottles like yours.

I was a bit worried about vibration, but my uncle came and gutted and redid the bathroom right across the hall, using power saws and hammers and everything, and nothing moved at all, so that was a good successful test.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are most of my quarts, 9 are "Only Documented" examples at this time...

a1.jpg
a2.jpg
Boyle quart hutch1a.jpg
Boyle quart hutch2a.jpg
c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c4.jpg
c6.jpg

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I bought mine for 30 bucks at Target and it's junk. I only compared mine because you can't see any support arms or external brackets. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470709271.160199.jpg (some girlfriend junk up there too) here's two I built. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470709311.919149.jpg . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470709322.921788.jpg And then the bookshelf I throw everything else on. I need better shelves. I have bottles all over the place! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470709406.159191.jpg

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The geo spreitzer quarts are awesome. Also love the Preakness quart. Great collection.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh, you guys have such nice collections!

Nice setup, Goldenplug. That floating shelf looks rad. I like those shelves that you built too, I've always wanted to make a compartmentalized square display kinda like that, the bottles look so happy and cozy.

Outstanding array of hutches, epackage. I also like the Geo Spreitzer slug plated ones with the eagles, but I really like that Peter Rice one in the second last group, nice old-style embossing.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The geo spreitzer quarts are awesome. Also love the Preakness quart. Great collection.
Thanks, all three of those are "Only Known" examples. The Spreitzer's were dug together about 1/2 mile from my house and the Preakness was recently found in a basement in the next town over, the clear Spreizter leans like the Leaning Tower of Pisa...

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I bought mine for 30 bucks at Target and it's junk. I only compared mine because you can't see any support arms or external brackets.(some girlfriend junk up there too) here's two I built. And then the bookshelf I throw everything else on. I need better shelves. I have bottles all over the place!
Nice shelves, I like them big and beefy and I'm always on the lookout for more mantels...

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Ugh, you guys have such nice collections!

Outstanding array of hutches, epackage. I also like the Geo Spreitzer slug plated ones with the eagles, but I really like that Peter Rice one in the second last group, nice old-style embossing.
That Peter Rice was part of a collection that turned up on Craigslist the day after Hurricane Irene, the guy got the bottles in a box lot while buying train memorabilia. I drove an hour to meet him with downed trees everywhere and no power where he lived. He met me at a local business in the parking lot and I got all these bottles for $200. I needed 11 of the hutches and 9 of them were "Only Known" examples at the time, the deal of a lifetime....

Display (3).jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Needed 11 and 9 were only known examples' - you did good!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to see one of the better collections out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread