$16.00 Find

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Found this bottle at a antique shop. It was priced $16.00. Says London on it but glass looks like Stoddard NH glass. I like the look and thought that it might be worth more, but I know some people rather collect just bottles made in the US. I would appreciate any additional info on this bottle that anyone may have.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.JPG
    IMG_8245.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8257.JPG
    IMG_8257.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8236.JPG
    IMG_8236.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8240.JPG
    IMG_8240.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 103

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From some searches it looks like it was exported gin that was bottled in America. So I would think it was made here. Very nice grab for $16!

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I don't know anything about this particular bottle but it does look American to me.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cob and Dude, the bottle itself looks like it was made on this side of the pond.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grab!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. As epackage said around a $100 bottle . If someone pays $500 take it and run!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I'd say this was a good buy. The history of London and gin is an interesting one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

It seems that American distillers at mid-19th Century were taking advantage of an 1840s resurgence of interest in gin-drinking by Londoners. The Americans marketed their gin using "London" as a hallmark of quality, not because it was imported gin.

And here from Wikipedia is what I think the American brands were to be associated with:
Gordon's London Dry Gin was developed by Alexander Gordon, a Londoner.[SUP][4][/SUP] He opened a distillery in the Southwark area in 1769, later moving in 1786 to Clerkenwell.[SUP][4][/SUP] The Special London Dry Gin he developed proved successful, and its recipe remains unchanged to this day.[SUP][[/SUP]

Here's how Bininger tried to associate his brand with London gin:

gin_Bininger_amber.JPG gin_Bininger_green.JPG gin_Bininger_no17.JPG

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
As it turns out, Bininger was a grocer, not a distiller. And, it appears he was a sophisticated marketer. Here a further look at how this American bottler attempted to associate his brand of gin (Old London Dock) with the Gordon's London Dry Gin.
gin_Bininger_label.JPG gin_Bininger_no19_pair.JPG
Notice the ambiguous claim on the label that this gin is "perfectly pure as originally imported." What does that mean? . . . That this gin is uncontaminated since being imported? Or, does it mean that this gin is as pure as gin formerly imported? The FTC today might have a problem with this claim. At least, the label makes no direct claim that the gin is imported.

The logo at the top of the label presents a [British] lion and a king's crown to support the illusion.

Notice also on the label that Bininger also identifies his company as "importers." No doubt, as grocers the company did import some comestibles. However, all of his other liquor offerings appear to be domestically-produced. There is no reason to believe, from our historical perspective, that "Old London Dock" was more than a marketing ploy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread