Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Y'all,

Just thought I'd share some recent stuff with you. First we've got a Pepsi, and a Mountain Dew that I haven't got around to cleaning yet, and a tiny little Coke that is made of glass but might belong to a Barbie set, I'm not sure. Then we've got a huuuge Milk of Magnesia, it's just under 9 inches tall, and my first that is American-made and embossed with Glenbrook, Conn. Then we have a little Bell & Co. antacid tablet bottle from Orangeburg, NY. Then we've got a nice old marble that has had plenty of play, don't know much about it. Then we've got two nice milks, a Terrace Hill Dairy half pint and a Maple Leaf Dairy pint, my first with a phone number.

Then we've got a couple heartbreakers! An H.F. Whitham Brantford C.W. pre-Confederation (1867) blob soda, and a John Root's Bitters from Buffalo, NY!!!

It's really too bad about the soda and the bitters... :sadsmiley:

DSCF6869.JPG DSCF6874.JPG DSCF6878.JPG DSCF6880.JPG DSCF6896.JPG DSCF6853.JPG DSCF6863.JPG DSCF6865.JPG

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
Good to see that you're out digging again. I've had similar luck this year with the good ones being busted.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! A shame about the brokens! Always cool to see the milk of magnesias, even if they are common, as Glenbrook is a community in Stamford where I live

john glassman

Apr 16, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see your out digging to bad you dont live around me I need help to dig a dump that 30 feet down?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for havin' me, vpnavy!

Thanks cje, and the year ain't over yet, so we've both still got a chance for something special!

Thanks, 'Cob! It really is a shame, dude. I'm happy with what I did get but I can't help but feel sad for those beauties. I love digging embossed Milks of Magnesia, it never gets old! 'Had no idea there was one this large. That's awesome that you're from the same neighbourhood! Are there any old factories or offices still standing that you can go and visit? Does Glenbrook have "Home of Milk of Magnesia" on a plaque or sign? Haha, it must be made known to others in some way, no?

Thanks, John! They let me back on the digging team, 'coach said I was fit to play the rest of the season. 'Wish I could help dig your new spot though. If only there was a way I'd be there, all 30 feet down!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work. I see you still know how to dig!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass, I'm just hoping I remember how to dig all the good ones!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothin like a good day out diggin holes, and you brought a few home:icon_thumright: I have always seen that you cork your bottles but I never noticed that you put used vintage screw caps on too. Where do you get these from?. From my experience they never look this clean out of a pit. It is a nice touch you put on there.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, villagenut!

If you're out digging and you find a screw cap that's in good enough shape, hang on to it - you never know what lidless bottle it will make the finishing touch to. You're right, they hardly ever come out in good shape, but the odd one does, and so that's why I keep them. I have found that there are three very common sizes that fit bottles from 1930-1970. I just call them 'small', 'medium', and 'large'. The smallest Milk of Magnesia here is actually a 'medium' and the next biggest is a 'large', but this hugest Milk of Magnesia has an even larger cap that I don't see quite often enough to categorize. Well, I guess I'll start calling it 'extra large', haha. It fits one of those little cobalt blue Noxzema ointment pots, but I took this one off an old cider jug that was in the shed out back.

As you go further back before 1930, the size of the lids and pitch of the screw threads start to vary a lot more.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for havin' me, vpnavy!

Thanks cje, and the year ain't over yet, so we've both still got a chance for something special!

Thanks, 'Cob! It really is a shame, dude. I'm happy with what I did get but I can't help but feel sad for those beauties. I love digging embossed Milks of Magnesia, it never gets old! 'Had no idea there was one this large. That's awesome that you're from the same neighbourhood! Are there any old factories or offices still standing that you can go and visit? Does Glenbrook have "Home of Milk of Magnesia" on a plaque or sign? Haha, it must be made known to others in some way, no?

Thanks, John! They let me back on the digging team, 'coach said I was fit to play the rest of the season. 'Wish I could help dig your new spot though. If only there was a way I'd be there, all 30 feet down!

Not sure if the residents of Glenbrook know. I'm not sure where the factory was but I did hear a story of a guy around here who dug their old facility and came up with the whole span of bottles, from the earliest blown cork top ones to the screw caps, all different sizes. One variety I've only dug pieces of and one I think to look out for is the very big and tall cylindrical screw cap kind that says something like Chas. Phillips Chemical Co. I always thought it would be cool to have one. I'll see if I can find a picture.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so cool about the guy digging the facility! Instant collection. That cylinder is just awesome! Who wouldn't want one of those on their shelf?

And thanks, scruggs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread