Brown Coca Cola

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
What an odd find yesterday in a local antique store. 5 or 6 straight sided brown Coca Cola bottles with the necks cleanly cut off with some sort of saw. Hard to explain without pics I know but they were cut a couple inches below where the cap would go so they still had a bit of a taper to them. At $10 each I almost bought one just because but I decided to pass on them as having no value. The cuts looked old and these were obviously very old bottles but why would someone do this ? To make drinking glasses out of them ?

Last edited:

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an odd find yesterday in a local antique store. 5 or 6 straight sided brown Coca Cola bottles with the necks cleanly cut off with some sort of saw. Hard to explain without pics I know but they were cut a couple inches below where the cap would go so they still had a bit of a taper to them. At $10 each I almost bought one just because but I decided to pass on them as having no value. The cuts looked old and these were obviously very old bottles but why would someone do this ? To make drinking glasses out of them ?

I believe the somewhat strange or questionable practice often with straight sided cokes with damages tops is to saw them off and "repair" them with undamaged tops. Not a practice I'm personally fond of but it's done fairly often.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, they probably meant to make drinking vessels out of the already-damaged bottles. Nobody in their right mind would do that to an amber straight side unless it was already busted somewhere above the shoulder. They've lost 99 percent of their value to a serious collector, but it's still a great way to repurpose those broken beauts.

NJK

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, 'cob, they may have been selling them for someone else to repair.

Yeah, I couldn't stand looking at a Frankenstein bottle with a body and head from two different specimens. Even if they were exactly the same in colour and every other characteristic, it would look so dang obvious. Glass is a tricky thing to glue together just right.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read your title I was thinking what did they find in the Coke. When I worked for Coke we found all kinds of things floating in them bottles.....Holy crow Brown Coke...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I'm reading and sipping on a can of A&W Root Beer... darn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread