NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 'Hope you're all gettin' stuffed silly with some awesome food and having a great time with family and/or friends.

I know that I'm posting in the wrong forum again, but...

Anyway, I went to the house spot today and tried some metal detecting for a change. The yard is completely overgrown with tall goldenrod and brambles and littered with fallen branches, so it's quite the whack. And it's very trashy too, difficult to read even while using discrimination. As I was digging some rustbuckets I ran into some nice bits of glass, mostly tooled tops. I thought, "hey, maybe if I put enough holes in the place I'll happen across a second privy", but, nothing so far. Coming up to the house there is an old road that forks into two - the old road that continues, and a new access road laid with gravel. I swept along the old road, which unfortunately is just as overgrown as the yard, and got a lot of big iron signals, two of which were axe heads that I'll clean up and show you later. I decided to try around the bases of some big old trees lining the roadside, and it was mostly the same story about big iron chunks of nothing. But around a big sugar maple I finally got a small concentrated signal that didn't seem like a rusted nail or shovel head, and so I dug an 8 inch plug. I carefully rummaged through the bottom of the plug and exposed the smooth edge of something, and I had a pretty good feeling that it was a coin. And it was! It ain't silver or gold, but hey, here's my oldest coin yet, a 1902 Edward VII penny. It must have been dropped by someone sitting under the tree by the road, perhaps reading a book or waiting for a guest to arrive. I'm pretty pumped about it, pretty 'thankful', I should say. I don't detect nearly as much as I dig glass, but I'm getting better and better at it.

Around the foundations I also found some ornate tin and brass, a bell, and a beat-up spoon that was once silver plated. I'm hoping to find some more coins or some buttons next time!

Thanks for looking and have a happy Thanksgiving evening,

NJK

DSCF7111c.jpg DSCF7113c.jpg

DSCF7122.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an idea...

A smaller coil would be better to deal with all the iron and what's happening underneath the surface, yes, no doubt, but to deal with all the obstructions above the surface, I should get a plank of wood and tie a length of rope to either end, and hold on and walk around stepping on the plank to flatten everything down. This would work even better with a teammate following behind with the detector, reading the ground before the grass can quickly spring up again. I'll have to wait until my big brother comes down again, and we could take turns flattening and detecting. I think this would be a pretty effective technique!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an idea...

A smaller coil would be better to deal with all the iron and what's happening underneath the surface, yes, no doubt, but to deal with all the obstructions above the surface, I should get a plank of wood and tie a length of rope to either end, and hold on and walk around stepping on the plank to flatten everything down. This would work even better with a teammate following behind with the detector, reading the ground before the grass can quickly spring up again. I'll have to wait until my big brother comes down again, and we could take turns flattening and detecting. I think this would be a pretty effective technique!

Sounds like those guys that make crop circles. Lol. Happy turkey day bottle hunters.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those LC are always cool to find, nice patina. Found my first a month ago, it was a 1917. There must be a silver coin waiting for your coil. Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found silver here before but only burnt coins within the house foundations. I'm hoping to find some better looking silver in the future.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with an 8" coil, if you go real slow you may better separate the targets. Your idea sounds good, better than having to wait for spring to flatten all the vegetation.
My avatar likes your's very much, lol. HH!

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gas powered weed whacker would also work [emoji106]🏼

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, dudes! We'll get 'er figured out. There's more to be found, for sure!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to where the front door would have been. Even and work that area over well for coins

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do, Bass. I know where the door to the well was - whether it was the front or back, who knows. I've gone over it hastily while I was looking for the more obvious signals, but I'll have to give it a more thorough go over.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you the best, dont forget to keep us informed ;)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice green Canadian LC.

Very well played sir!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever reason, I have always found coins in the front door area. I think people would sit on their porch or front steps and lose them from their pockets. And also lose them taking their keys out of their pockets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread