Whats this bottle called?

Barkeater

Jan 13, 2014
NE
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with F4 DD coil. Garrett AT-Gold with stock 5x8 & NEL BIG 15x17 coil. White's MX Sport. Vibra probe pin pointer(RIP)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this last summer & been having a tough time finding anything about it. Its stamped Wall & Co Springfield Mass "Red Top". I'm wondering if anyone has any info about this bottle that they might be willing to share. Just wondering its possible age & what type of bottle. Ginger beer or spring water maybe? Thanks in advance.

30762769814_c99e769ef8_z.jpg 30762773864_a902de4611_z.jpg

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Stoneware flavored beer, 1840-1880's, typically sarsaparilla, birch beer, root beer, cheery beer, spruce beer, etc....

My guess is yours dates to the 1840-60's era based on form, but I could be wrong. I would have to check the Springfield directories to know for sure, but to be honest I am wiped out tonight and in no mood to go thru them. It's a beauty IMHO...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barkeater

Barkeater

Jan 13, 2014
NE
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with F4 DD coil. Garrett AT-Gold with stock 5x8 & NEL BIG 15x17 coil. White's MX Sport. Vibra probe pin pointer(RIP)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! Maybe its an error & the A should E? This says Wall & Co.

31615092785_711cf9af58_z.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the help! Maybe its an error & the A should E? This says Wall & Co.

View attachment 1391129

Thanks, couldn't tell with the first view, certainly Wall & Co. on it. I think Polak got it wrong when he put out his 6th Edition of the Antique Bottle Trader back in 2008. Now you need to find this variant for a nice side by side...

wall.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed Barkeaters find is not spelled with an "s" at the end

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed Barkeaters find is not spelled with an "s" at the end

Good eye Bass, it got me thinking and doing more research. As you can see there is nobody with the last name 'Wall' in the 1846 Springfield directory, BUT there is a Jerome Wells and a D.W. Willard listed as 'merchants' on 'Merchants Row'. My guess is Wells is the correct name and Willard is the '& Co.'. In Paterson the '& Co.' regularly took over the business from the person whose name was used that preceded it back in the day...

wall.jpg

OP
OP
Barkeater

Barkeater

Jan 13, 2014
NE
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the help I really appreciate your effort into the research. This is one of my favorite bottles. I don't find much for stoneware...lots of shards & broken tops. Thanks again!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye Bass, it got me thinking and doing more research. As you can see there is nobody with the last name 'Wall' in the 1846 Springfield directory, BUT there is a Jerome Wells and a D.W. Willard listed as 'merchants' on 'Merchants Row'. My guess is Wells is the correct name and Willard is the '& Co.'. In Paterson the '& Co.' regularly took over the business from the person whose name was used that preceded it back in the day...

View attachment 1391260

Good research, I think your on to something. Lol, I gave it up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread