Just killin time

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd share a little story with ya this morning. Been prospecting for bottles, oh I guess for almost 50 years now. Got interested by chance I guess. Found a olive colored bottle sticking out of a crick bank while fishing one day and later found several more in the area. Been on and off looking since then. Here in northern Pa. there are a lot of old farms and towns. The old towns date back to the early 1800's. Most came and went with the timber. One town in particular, Teutonia, was founded by German immigrants from the Philly, Pa district. You can read about that town under Planet Smethport Pa. on the net. I found that these early settlers as they settled, the first thing they looked for was water. Now, northern Pa has a lot of natural springs. So I would look for these springs while hunting. Some tell tale signs, is broken glass in these spring runs way back in the woods. I would follow these springs to the head source. And would find where they had dug a hole for dippin out the water. I also found that they would kill two birds with one stone. They dumped there trash on the down side of the hole over a bank or stone. Found a lot of bottles that way. Just find the glass in the springs and follow it up til you run out of glass and that's where you dig. Just like the old gold prospectors did. Now I also dug in old dumps I found on long ago farms, I call myself a garbologist. Even got my grandson interested. I find that most owners of these farms would give permission to dig old dump sites and even tell where they might be found. But as the years take there toll, I'm just not pumped like I used to be come this time of year. See, It's the best time, as all the overgrowth is laid down and these old dumps are easier to find. I probably have 4-5 hundred old bottles. Most in old tubs and bushel baskets upstairs in my garage. But I have several on display in the house. Some are probably worth 10 cents and some I was told at bottle shows, could be worth as much as a hundred. You know something, I think I could tell you where I found each and everyone. Well, good hunting. Hope this was helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread