Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Walked a field in a very rural area of the SC Lowcountry recently where these two pieces were showing. I believe both of them to be from SC Dispensaries. There is brick from what I believe to be a late 1800s house site within 30 yards of where I found these pieces.

What would be a good rule of thumb for a compass heading and distance from the center of the brick concentration to try to locate where the privies would have been or the trash dumps?

Do I assume that north would have been the way the house was facing?

Can anyone who has successfully dug privies and trash pits on rural home sites help narrow down my search?

Disp..jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if there's any way of determining where a house may have been since the area has been disturbed more than once. A metal detector might help. Finding iron targets/relics will probably put you in the vicinity of the houseplace. Then start probing

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to give yourself a workout with your probe. Most often, there ain't no sign posted saying....bottles are here,x marks the spot. There may be multiple trash pits so a good day of probing may be tiring, but a necessary exercise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions