Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would avoid that one as the tip is the same size as the shaft.

To avoid unnecessary ground friction when using the probe most folks use probes that have a slightly larger tip than the shaft such as a bullet shape, so that the hole created is slightly larger than the shaft and eliminates the shaft gripping the dirt. Guys that make their own will sometimes weld a nut near the tip and then grind it down to get this effect.

OP
OP
gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would avoid that one as the tip is the same size as the shaft.

To avoid unnecessary ground friction when using the probe most folks use probes that have a slightly larger tip than the shaft such as a bullet shape, so that the hole created is slightly larger than the shaft and eliminates the shaft gripping the dirt. Guys that make their own will sometimes weld a nut near the tip and then grind it down to get this effect.

Thanks for the advice, should I look at one like this instead:

https://www.amazon.com/PlumBest-P27005R3-60-Inch-Steel-Probing/dp/B0069QU92I/ref=pd_sbs_328_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0069QU92I&pd_rd_r=7YFP8G1SS29F6AD58FY3&pd_rd_w=nfSO4&pd_rd_wg=4oHcd&psc=1&refRID=7YFP8G1SS29F6AD58FY3

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would go with Bass's recommendation. Get the 5' probe your back will thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread