sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I were walking a creek way out in the country looking for arrowheads. I was about 20 feet ahead, concentrating on the bottom when he hollers at me. I turn around and head back to where he's standing and he's pointing at this. I had walked right by it, a perfect little Crawford County jug. Oh, the humiliation. Actually, I'm tickled for him. He has looked with me since he was little and never found anything really good. His interest waned in the teen years, but lately at 21, he's shown a bit more interest, so it couldn't have come at a better time to get him all fired up again.

And uh, the Uglee point is what I found.

Today's lesson: Tunnel vision's a b!tch. And sometimes, we can learn from the young'uns.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm guilty of tunnel vision as well. That jug is fantastic and I'm glad he was able to find it. Good job! Nothing better than doing some hunting with your son

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That jug is absolutely beautiful, awesome colour and form!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That truly is a gorgeous jug, on a whole different aesthetic level. Don't feel bad about missing it, because since it was your son that found it, and since he undoubtedly learned all he knows from you, it was basically you that found it after-all! ;)

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plums! Where in the world have you been?

I guess he did learn something because he told me he remembered me telling him about the time I picked up a jug out of the creek (long before he was born) to show to my buddy who had also walked by it. The next second, there's a splash and I'm standing there with the handle in my hand. So he knew not to pick up the mud, gravel and water filled heavy jug by the handle. I guess kids listen more than we give them credit for. Glad he did because this handle on the backside is unusually thin. I love the "rat tail" lower attachment, too.

jug handle.jpg jug handle1.jpg

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, been in Laramie, Wyoming for a few years, and the good old dump(s) here are now under businesses and a park where even metal detecting is prohibited (pretty dry here so they likely got tired of dead grass plugs). Thanks for the additional pictures, that rustic jug is wonderful and would look great sitting by a fireplace.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that you had just started digging an isolated dump back home that sounded real promising. Did you put that one on hold for the time being? I was looking forward to seeing what you found when you dropped off the radar. At any rate, good to have you back and that you're doing well. I still remember that killer green IP pickle you found.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Plums! Where in the world have you been?

I guess he did learn something because he told me he remembered me telling him about the time I picked up a jug out of the creek (long before he was born) to show to my buddy who had also walked by it. The next second, there's a splash and I'm standing there with the handle in my hand. So he knew not to pick up the mud, gravel and water filled heavy jug by the handle. I guess kids listen more than we give them credit for. Glad he did because this handle on the backside is unusually thin. I love the "rat tail" lower attachment, too.

View attachment 1425717 View attachment 1425718

Sometime the potter left his mark (an initial, typically) in a cartouche on the top of the handle. Is yours marked like that.

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sir. That would've been the proverbial cherry on top, for sure.

jug handle2.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing the handle has remained intact all these years

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometime the potter left his mark (an initial, typically) in a cartouche on the top of the handle. Is yours marked like that.

By the way, Harry, the jug that was the subject of the hard-learned lesson years ago was marked on the handle, "WB". Likely, Washington Becham.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a beautiful jug! Congrats.

Years ago, when my Dad was still alive, we were out looking for points and canoed to a small island. I got out first and pulled the canoe onto the shore somewhat. He found a beauty laying within 3 inches of where the heel of my boot had gone into the wet sand. I never saw it and he always thought I passed it up so that he could find it, LOL.
HH
dts

OP
OP
sandchip

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually thinking that if I spotted a point to pass it by and let Luke find it. Hey, anybody can miss a point, right? But a jug? I must've been deep in thought to pull a doofus like that. Well, he found a good one so it's on now!

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the jug. Great find!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was actually thinking that if I spotted a point to pass it by and let Luke find it. Hey, anybody can miss a point, right? But a jug? I must've been deep in thought to pull a doofus like that. Well, he found a good one so it's on now!

boy howdy, we have all been there!

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now all you gotta do is get yourself some " Moonshine Divining Rods" and find the still that the bottle came from.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out the other day and saw a lip of one then the base of another but noting whole believe me I was looking for a whole one to. Love those types of jugs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread