How old is this bottle and what was it used for? Just curious.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bottle in the woods today and thought it was worth taking home. It's 6 1/4" high and embossed with " NET CONTENTS 10 FL. OZ." on the side. The mold seam only goes up to bottom of the threaded lip and the seam is raised up. The bottom has "665" and "2" on it. The bottle has quite a few bubbles in it as well.

Any idea as to it's age? I know it's not really old, but I'd like a rough idea as to when it was manufactured. What was is used for? Reminds me of a cream bottle, but I don't think I've ever seen a threaded cream bottle. Any help would be appreciated.

DSC06584.JPG DSC06591.JPG DSC06586.JPG

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly early machine made. Like you said, has that dairy look or juice, maybe. I ain't much help, am I?

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that was helpful! I just can't find any dairy bottles with a screw top. I think it's dairy related because it's very heavy and sturdy. It was probably meant to be refilled and not just tossed. Just my take on it...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Horseradish, relish or some other condiment is my guess...

Apr 3, 2017
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bottle probes, spring steel!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if you are aware of this bottle dating and information site. Warning: There is so much info in it that it can make you crazy but I've found it very useful and have learned plenty from it over the years.
Machine Made Dating

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horseradish, relish or some other condiment is my guess

Could be, but it seems really heavy (12 oz.) and sturdy for a condiment jar that would only be used once. But maybe that's the only way they made bottles and jars back then. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if you are aware of this bottle dating and information site. Warning: There is so much info in it that it can make you crazy but I've found it very useful and have learned plenty from it over the years.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Going to have to read that page a few times to get it to sink in! Not as simple as I thought it would be...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread