How to find dump site?

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on a property that dates back to the mid to late 1800's. I have found old bottles on the ground in the woods and started digging and found a bunch of stuff, early 1900's to the 1970's type bottles.

Now I have dug that whole area out and deep and wide until I see no more signs of glass or trash.

With the property being so old, I would think that there must be somewhere else the older bottles would be.

Any ideas on how to look for a spot to start digging or searching?

Thanks in advance,

Vdubguy

Here are a few of the bottles I have dug out of the woods. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492520450.610579.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492520479.984729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492520500.475505.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492520536.906854.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for steep ravines and embankments, near the creek or swamp, any low-lying area really - places where the trash would have been put out of sight and out of mind. Depending on where you live and whatnot, it's possible that there may be some filled-in trash pits closer to the house, and if they aren't visible you might need a probe to poke around for them - and maybe you'll happen across a privy in the process!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get yourself an old oil dipstick or something to probe with. then as other said look for low areas or depressions and stab away until you find glass.

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are any large rocks, try digging around them. Like the saying, "out of sight, out of mind".

routefood

Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi:
If there is a creek running through the property, check the gravel bars for shards. Keep walking upstream until the shards stop. There may be a dump on either side. Good luck!

lostmichigan

Oct 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm doing bottle dump hunting in MI.
I need advice.
I have found some amazing spots for bottle hunting. I KNOW there's real treasures at these spot. Mostly old farmsteads. Some old mill and factory sites.
Here's the thing.
What I always find are places that were clearly abandoned in the 20s. To the 40s.
I find some cool artifacts from this time period but I'm more interested in bottles and relics from the 1800s and possibly earlier. ( Fur trade camps possibly)

But everywhere I look is a thick layer of this newer junk. It makes the hunt confusing.
Is the older stuff in the same trash pits just deeper?
I have found numerous concrete privies and cisterns. I have started to dig them and. come across this 1920s junk. I've stopped digging to save my energy.
Should I continue with a cistern with 20s junk on top?

If I find a town dump with only 20s junk visible, where should I dig to find the older stuff?

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread