Finally found an older bottle dump on the farm.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a few other small dumps but they were not as old or as big as I know has to be out there. This one I think is about the age of the house I live in maybe not quite. This house was built in 1880. The original house was much older and on another part of the farm. I think the barns may have been durned during the civil war because many were on our road and when the family came back after the war they rebuilt on a higher piece of land. (The family was Quaker at the time an not believing in fighting they went and stayed with family in Ohio.)
Any way here are the bottles I found this week. Three of them say cure on them so I think they have to be pre 1906. I don't know much about bottles but I am learning from everyone here. That's how I found the dump in the first place from all your advice. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605703.175401.jpg 1 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605750.620284.jpg 2 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605803.640807.jpg 3 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605848.911458.jpg 4 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605882.899532.jpg 5 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605944.575057.jpg 6 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493605985.752603.jpg 7 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493606021.863230.jpg 8 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493606054.950147.jpg 9 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493606093.250829.jpg 10
There were over60 but this is getting long. It looks like the family was sick a lot. I would love to here your thoughts on age bottle info.
Thanks!

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you've done very well! Looks like you've got finds spanning the age of the building of the house to maybe the 20s, generally turn of the century. Great start!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good, now go back with your detector for lost single coins and jewel. Good hunting and good luck.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on searchin', you've got some beauties in there!

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you've done very well! Looks like you've got finds spanning the age of the building of the house to maybe the 20s, generally turn of the century. Great start!

Thanks! There has to be older ones here some where. The family bought the farm from the Ewers in 1860 and the had an old tavern so there should be tons of bottles.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did good, now go back with your detector for lost single coins and jewel. Good hunting and good luck.

Thanks! There is so much old wire and crumbled metal on top of the bottles that a metal detector would not be much help. I need to sift the dirt.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep on searchin', you've got some beauties in there!

Thank you! Which ones are the best? I did some research on the ones that are embossed but don't know where to start on the others. I know you can tell age some by the tops or bottoms.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back with your detector for coins and jewel. Also a sand and dirt sifter You never know what else may be there.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Laxol cobalt is a good one. Should get $15-20. Some of those local pharmacys could be sleepers. You will have to do some research. That amber Farneys just might be a great one. Chill Cure. Really. Wow. Not listed. Hair restorer could get a few bucks. Amber poison a few bucks maybe. Those slicks are window bottles. Fellows is common as well as the hoods. The Kilmers is decent but fairly common. Inks and milk glass are common too. I think the good one out of the group is the Chill Cure. Even though Farney is a very common and huge maker of cures and such I don't think I've seen one like that with the tooled lip. Great finds. Go get some more and don't hesitate to post more pics. Regards. Jgas.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you will stumble upon the outhouse pits:) Great assortment, I am sure jealous. I hope you find more!!!!!!

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go back with your detector for coins and jewel. Also a sand and dirt sifter You never know what else may be there.

I do need a sifter. I will have to look into building or buying one. There is a lot of broken crocks and clay jars I will have to take a picture next time I am up there. I thought about trying to piece some together or using them in my flower garden. It looks like some one threw big rocks on them to compact them.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laxol cobalt is a good one. Should get $15-20. Some of those local pharmacys could be sleepers. You will have to do some research. That amber Farneys just might be a great one. Chill Cure. Really. Wow. Not listed. Hair restorer could get a few bucks. Amber poison a few bucks maybe. Those slicks are window bottles. Fellows is common as well as the hoods. The Kilmers is decent but fairly common. Inks and milk glass are common too. I think the good one out of the group is the Chill Cure. Even though Farney is a very common and huge maker of cures and such I don't think I've seen one like that with the tooled lip. Great finds. Go get some more and don't hesitate to post more pics. Regards. Jgas.

Thank you for all that information! I did see where the Dr's bottle from Bluemont sold on line to some one in Australia of all places for close to thirty dollars. The kidney cure I have the large and a small sample bottle. Not sure if I will sell any right now since they are family related I am trying to piece together their history here. I would be cool if I could fine one of the medicines talked about in some of the old letters the I am putting together in a time line. They do talk about illnesses often. Will have to look. Will,have to look into the chill cure some more.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully you will stumble upon the outhouse pits:) Great assortment, I am sure jealous. I hope you find more!!!!!!

I have looked for outhouse pits but have not found any yet. That's another thing I need is a bottle probe. I know the general direction of the one of the pits here at this house because part of the path is still here but it ends going up a hill so not sure. I did unearth the foundation of what I think may have been the smoke house it has a stone floor and was filled with ash and bottles. Those bottles were from the 20s-30s.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! There has to be older ones here some where. The family bought the farm from the Ewers in 1860 and the had an old tavern so there should be tons of bottles.

The old tavern privy is what you want to look for. It could be a great resource for nice liquor bottles and coins.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old tavern privy is what you want to look for. It could be a great resource for nice liquor bottles and coins.

How far down in a privy is it typical to start finding things? And are they usually lined with rocks or bricks? I may not be going deep enough. I may have found the tavern site this spring. Tons of square nails some rose head. Four large cents so far from this location a good many flat buttons most with back marks, Brocken glass and pottery but can not find the privy or bottle dump at this site.

OP
OP
VaNana

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mackaydon thank you for those links great information! You always have so much helpful knowledge to add to many posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread