Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for a little bottle diving. It was windy and visibility was limited, so I kyaked the shoreline and snorkeled the shallow water on the lee side of the island. I alternate between kayaking, snorkeling, and wadeing. I carry my snorkel gear, a glass bottom bucket, my rubber boots, and a bottle probe. Today I got a nice old wine bottle it has a hand applied top, no seams, and a wierd looking pontil with a cone shaped nipple on it. photo-251.JPG
photo-249.JPG
photo-250.JPG
photo-252.JPG
photo-253.JPG
I probably dove about 100 bottles today most dating from 1920 to yesterday. I only kept a few. One was a bahamian soda called sunshine. It was labeled property of sunshine bottling company Nassau bahamas. photo-260.JPG
photo-256.JPG
I also dove up a glass army tank. I have no idea what it goes to. Looks like a lid to something photo-255.JPG to bad the barrel was broken off. It says USA and has a star on the front. I also got a tremendous amount of sea glass, including some complete bottle bottoms that are frosted like sea glass. Ive herd that it is rare to find complete bottoms in sea glass form. Im not sure about that though. Also got a blue marble. Ive found quite a few marbles this year. photo-259.JPG
photo-258.JPG
photo-257.JPG
I found at least 3 wrecks today one has to be late 1800s. I found a 6 foot anchor from the early 1900s or late 1800s, and I salvaged a bronze port hole. photo-248.JPG and a bunch of other nick nacks. I dont keep many of the bottles from the 20s and up unless they are highly embossed, but I do save the coral encrusted ones. I'll have to edit the photo in after I load it up. photo-261.JPG there we go. I love these things they are definitely different.

Last edited:

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the bottles and the story. Sounds like a fun and beautiful place to hunt!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still trying to date this wine bottle, but best I can tell it's a 1700s Bordeaux hand blown wine bottle. If thats the case then im very encouraged to continue diving this area. To think that this bottle has been down there this long just blows my mind. I just cant believe that its in one piece still. This is what bottle diving is all about !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-275.JPG photo-274.JPG
Better shot of pontil, and a sunlight picture. What do you guys think of age estimate ?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These Bordeaux bottles didn't change for most of the 19th Century. I think you'd be safe in calling this one "mid-19th C."

Thank you harry, that helps alot. Thats still good for me to dive. Thers alot of bottles over here everywhere. Still looking for a good old pile. Never seen so many on the bottom as harbor island and spanish wells. People have been making bottle dumps in the ocean overhear for years. Local guy says he knows where there are several old piles . Might have to bribe him with cocktails to get the info. Lol !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions