Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect day, flat calm, crystal clear water, sunny, and no wind. Perfect for snorkeling and wading. I could see bottles 20 feet down on the bottom. Paddle along in the kyak , site bottles on the bottom, check with the looking glass, and pass or dive depending on age. If the bottles are shallow hop out and wade with the looking glass (glass bottom bucket). Yesterday was the agony of defeat, today was the thrill of victory. I finally got my gin bottle !! It took me a little while but now im zeroing in on some older stuff. All I needed was some good weather and conditions. Got this one from the kyak with the glass bottom bucket, only 6-8 feet of water. photo-308.JPG photo-298.JPG photo-297.JPG photo-296.JPG photo-295.JPG this one had coral on and in it, ithink ill leave whats left on it. There were plenty of broken beauties too including one that ill keep. photo-293.JPG photo-291.JPG photo-290.JPG photo-310.JPG photo-289.JPG got to go and work today, time to fish ,the tunas are biting. Villagenut you were right, had to sacrafice one to get another one glad I know the area to look now.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds Congrats! And, the scenery down there is pretty exceptional! Will be visiting your fine State in October to fish and clean all the trash from miles of beaches!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds Congrats! And, the scenery down there is pretty exceptional! Will be visiting your fine State in October to fish and clean all the trash from miles of beaches!

SD51 im actually in the bahamas, over here in spanish wells fishing for 4-6 months every year. I love my job !!! Thanks for your service cleaning our beaches.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show those bottles who's boss! Congratulations, great gin.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunting Black Bart! Keep them coming, the scenery is breath taking. I love your job lol!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Love the barnacles.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a pic of your glass bottom bucket ? :icon_thumleft: Great gin !

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got into some sweet stuff, are these just sittng on the bottom? I like your looking glass idea, but I would be afraid of seeing a shark below me and I would panic ,fall off the kayak and get eaten. How about that anchor?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the gin. Mark that area because there may be more there. Thanks for the post

Last edited:

Benyo4559

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 200
Deteknix Xpointer
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! That water is absolutely beautiful. I would love to have your job too, haha!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to know the total number of case gins made, has to be in the multi millions. Nice find and scenery, if I didn't have two nieces in grade school and a dog that I have to take care of 4 hours a day I'd move there in a second... continued success

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !!!!! Beautiful gin !!! Forgive my ignorance, but I'm stuck up here on the mountain , is it from a shipwreck or from someone sitting on shore who finished it and threw out in the water ?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-313.JPG photo-312.JPG photo-311.JPG
So here's a picture of the glass bottom bucket or what we call a looking glass. In the keys, bahamas, and carribean this tool is a must. It is used for spotting conch, fish, and lobsteror any other thing on the bottom you might be looking for including ballast mounds and shipwrecks. In addition to the looking glass and snorkel gear I carry rubber boots and a bottle probe for wading. I took basses advice and switched to a fiberglass rod and its much better. Its actually a pole spear and can double for protection and spearing lobsters. Probaly the best up grade ive made in a while. Thanks bass. Most of the bottles are from glass dumps as the bahamas had no formal trash pick up and disposal for years. The old anchorages that sailing ships used are some of the best spots to look. The wind blows predominately from the east, Southeast, and south, so tracking to the west and northwest beaches and mangrove swamps opposite the anchorages are also good. The cluster of gins I found were in one of the anchorages and I could see them with the looking glass. I have found 6 different wrecks this season all of wich had bottles on them. They are a good source of bottles but most of the ones I I found were from the 30s to 60s. The older ones are no more than ballast mounds, and digging on them will get you in trouble. I did poke a small black tip shark with my probe/spear the other day to show him who was boss. He came to check me out in waist deep water. One tap on the head and he was on his way. I would love to dive the harbor but theres just to much commercial traffic. There are good ones there but I dont want to get run over trying to get them. To many freightors, ferries , and taxis. Diving alone I have to be careful, so I stick to the safer areas.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are so fortune that you can spend so much time in such a beautiful place. Brings back good memories of the eight year during my teenage years that we lived in Puerto Rico. I miss the weather and the water. Dad worked for the US geological survey hence my love for digging. Fossils stared it all. I love reading your adventures, finds and pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread