Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Some of you might remember the jug that I dug out of a small cave in a clay muck trickle-down dump this last November. Well, I went back for a change of scenery and got a few little goodies.

This is a pretty long trench, there are many different approaches you could take to digging it, but this time I decided to try chopping at the walls wherever it looked like the junk had originally been deposited on either side. I figured that most of it would have drifted down into the creek but that there would be a few stragglers left behind. It was easy digging on the surface but very tough toward the clay bottom. I was surprised to see just how deep some of the stuff was embedded in the solid clay. You'd think that you hit the bottom and then keep finding shards a foot down - but I'm not going any further than that from now on, it's super tough and dirty digging without any guarantees, and I've got plenty of trench to cover, so I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Anyway, we ended up with a string of blown bottles, all embossed. It was strange, I was rubbing them off one after another thinking, "okay, this one's gonna be a slick", but no, they all ended up being embossed, haha! So here we have an extract from Toronto, a Robert Ralston shoe dressing from Hamilton, a catsup flavouring, and a beautiful linseed and turpentine med.

Shoot, I've really gotta bring my camera with me more often. Next time!

DSCF8552.JPG DSCF8558.JPG DSCF8566.JPG

Last edited:

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are beautiful bottles! I was surprised also by how far into the clay layer you can find bottles.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y'all!

I found my fourth or fifth broken Warner's Safe Cure as well, I really want to dig one of those, I think it'd be so cool, they might be common elsewhere but it's definitely a goal of mine. But yeah, I'll get some pics of everything next time I go there, I still gotta show you that cave! I'll try to remember to bring a flashlight, and if there isn't too much water I'll get in there to see if there are any more fruit jars sticking out of the ceiling.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff. Hey, great job and just goes to show persistence pays. Those are good finds

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass! I'm hoping that this spot continues to produce, and I do have a feeling that there's gonna be a stunner in there. It'll be hard work, but it's in there somewhere. 'Should be heading back on Monday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread