Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Here are a few shots of the trench I've been digging in, and a shot of the creek where the stuff washes out. I forgot the darn flashlight and so I didn't bother going up near the top to get some pics of the little cave (it's under that second walnut tree in the middle that's obscured by leaves). Today I got a nice slick med with some neat straw marks, a sweet little perfume, and some other extracts and things. There was a nice earlier heartbreaker of a shoe polish, hopefully next time I'll get something similar intact. I'll add another pic once I get the stuff cleaned up.

This time I had a tiny mouse stop by to watch me dig!

DSCF8693.JPG DSCF8715.JPG DSCF8761.JPG DSCF8757.JPG DSCF8698.JPG DSCF8711.JPG DSCF8722.JPG DSCF8752.JPG DSCF8747.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a good spot you got there. Keep on trucking

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass. When the water warms up a bit I'm thinking of wading into the water and slowly raking away at the deposit of muck at the water's edge - do you think this would be a good idea? Shards seem to sink and stay put but whole bottles usually drift away. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to dig into the creek bank there...

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett 350 Garrett pinpointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a beautiful place to work! The roots and vines must be hard to work around. Do you have poison ivy?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is a beautiful spot to dig! The roots are definitely a big challenge. We do have poison ivy here. Haha, last year I posted about a blistering rash I got while digging, thinking I had got burnt by some awful chemical, but I'd never had poison ivy until then. It's no fun at all, hopefully I can avoid it this year.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes it is a beautiful spot to dig! The roots are definitely a big challenge. We do have poison ivy here. Haha, last year I posted about a blistering rash I got while digging, thinking I had got burnt by some awful chemical, but I'd never had poison ivy until then. It's no fun at all, hopefully I can avoid it this year.

Worst case of poison something I got was digging in open fields in Virginia about 20 years ago. Must have set my detector arm cup down on something, and throughout the day I worked nature's radiation into the tender underside of my arm. Ended up with a "thick" armcup size band of itching leprosy. Frequent salt paste applications seemed to be about the only thing to bring some relief.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Nature's radiation", haha, ouch, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Yeah, I was concerned because it was late winter when I got it, so I was thinking, "oh darn, this is some kind of freaky chemical burn if there aren't any plants out", but someone on here, I think it was bottlehunterofcoscob, taught me that you can get the burn from every part of the plant, every time of the year! I had no idea, I thought they went dormant or something. Sure enough, that spring there was a nice big ol' patch of the stuff, and I was never so happy and relieved to see a bunch of poison ivy.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take but one time of that mess getting a hold of you, before you're able to spot it in the dead of winter from a mile away.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great secluded spot to dig some glass in peace ! Hope ya shared part of your sandwich with the mouse :laughing7:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't take but one time of that mess getting a hold of you, before you're able to spot it in the dead of winter from a mile away.

I've gotten pretty good at spotting Poison Ivy; field I was in had been bush hogged and everything was chopped up. The sap/oil remains active on whatever it resides including the brush. It is the gift that can keep on giving. One of the reasons to clean your gear and detector before handling the business end.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bass. When the water warms up a bit I'm thinking of wading into the water and slowly raking away at the deposit of muck at the water's edge - do you think this would be a good idea? Shards seem to sink and stay put but whole bottles usually drift away. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to dig into the creek bank there...

Yes, i believe that's a great idea. Check out the area where the ravine meets the water and out into the water a good piece.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, awesome. When things heat up I'll take a dip with a snorkel and see what I can get out of there.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what poison ivy looks like but the leaves were not out this spring when I found the bottle dump. I had gloves and long sleeves but still got it on my right hand and arm.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's sneaky. You don't see any leaves and so you think everything's cool, but then bang, the darn roots get ya!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what poison ivy looks like but the leaves were not out this spring when I found the bottle dump. I had gloves and long sleeves but still got it on my right hand and arm.

Leaves or not, you'll learn to spot those "hairy" vines as well.

VaNana

Aug 23, 2014
Northern Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leaves or not, you'll learn to spot those "hairy" vines as well.

The big hairy vines growing up trees I avoid. It's the new growth and underground roots I need to pay attention to and leave alone.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey njklagt get your self a small 2 ft probe to probe the muck when your able to get to the water. It's an easy way of finding bottles with out disturbing the sediment too much. Nice spot I look forward to seeing more.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 'Dude! That's a great idea. I do have a 3 footer but never even considered it until now. I'm just worried that I won't probe every inch and miss something, or mistake a bottle for a rock or something and ignore it. But I will definitely include it in my arsenal for when the time comes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions