New York Stoneware jug

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I've got this New York Stoneware Co. 2 gallon jug. It stands 14 inches tall and measures 8 ½ inches across the bottom. I’m guessing that it is a salt glaze finish with a cobalt blue bird? Is that a bird? From what I could find online, the company started in 1862. Just wondering if anyone could narrow down the age of this or add any additional info. Thanks.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
07.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I found mention of a jug with the same stamp dating it to circa 1875.

OP
OP
B

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was on Kovel's and that jug sold for $375, but this one has some condition issues... I don't really know what kind of problems are acceptable in jugs this old.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same value around here, a bit higher if you have the merchant or maker's name on the jug.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It was on Kovel's and that jug sold for $375, but this one has some condition issues... I don't really know what kind of problems are acceptable in jugs this old.
Kovel's is outdated a week after the book is printed, the jug may well bring that on Ebay or at auction, but I have my doubts in the current market. I'd expect $250ish if I was selling based on the decoration, animals, people and floral designs you can nail down to a specific flower do better on average...

OP
OP
B

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
I really don't know much about Kovel's. It was where the search led me. I joined for free and it seems like a good resource. Frankly, I'll be happy if it brings 300 because of the chips. I do value your opinion. Thanks,
Bill

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Please post a link is you sell it on ebay, I hope it does very well for you...

OP
OP
B

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I sure hope that this is allowed here. Here's the link. Bid if you like.
Link removed because the auction ended.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful piece.
HH
dts

OP
OP
B

Bill H.

Greenie
Apr 29, 2017
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was shocked as well, but it did have condition issues. I usually do buy it nows, but tried the 3 day auction cause it worked so well on the H C Smith jug. It's the luck of the draw. The other jug got 332.00. Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread