Unique Bromo-Seltzer Bottle

okpych

May 26, 2017
Lowcountry of South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Bromo-Seltzer bottles are pretty common and are usually a dime-a-dozen, but when I was digging in an early dump near my house, I discovered two odd ones that I'd like to show y'all.

DSC00544.JPG

It's a very pretty, but uncommon, green Bromo-Seltzer. I've tried doing research on it, but have come to no conclusion on any information. Has anyone dug anything like it? I dug a second one shortly after.

Here's a regular one to compare, from the same dump.

DSC00536.JPG

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !! Dug this one about 3-4 years ago, my first.

Attachments

• downsize (8).jpg
    downsize (8).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 102

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug green Bromo's like yours are uncommon but they can be found, sad part is nuking a blue one turns it an odd shade of green and many Ebayers have paid good money to the scumbags on Ebay like gatorben and other "nukers" who alter the actual color and pass it off as rare. The fact you dug yours and know it was always green is a good thing for you.... Nice find

OP
OP
okpych

okpych

May 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug green Bromo's like yours are uncommon but they can be found, sad part is nuking a blue one turns it an odd shade of green and many Ebayers have paid good money to the scumbags on Ebay like gatorben and other "nukers" who alter the actual color and pass it off as rare. The fact you dug yours and know it was always green is a good thing for you.... Nice find

That's one of the first things I came across when I tried doing research. People were telling me it was nuked, despite me pulling it out of the ground.. Hah.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one of the first things I came across when I tried doing research. People were telling me it was nuked, despite me pulling it out of the ground.. Hah.
It the Ebay dirtbags that have begun to ruin the hobby, the good thing is the nuking process has been proven reversible, so I always keep an eye out for dark purple bottles that are rare but that true collectors pass on because they know they've been nuked. Once reversed they'll bring top dollar, continued success to you...

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It the Ebay dirtbags that have begun to ruin the hobby, the good thing is the nuking process has been proven reversible, so I always keep an eye out for dark purple bottles that are rare but that true collectors pass on because they know they've been nuked. Once reversed they'll bring top dollar, continued success to you...

REVERSIBLE?! How the heck does that work? Does 'reverse nuking' a bottle that hasn't been nuked give some different result?

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found mine , I heard all about the nuking also, too bad that has happened , but mine came out of the dirt just as green as it went in 100 years before and I sold it as such , on eBay for around $40 to 45 . I really ignorant and curious, how do ya nuke a bottle,do ya gotta know someone at the hospital in the radiology dept ??? That is a serious ? Not a snide remark . I know about turning them purple in a box with a uv light is it the same ? Those are very distinct and easy to spot.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
REVERSIBLE?! How the heck does that work? Does 'reverse nuking' a bottle that hasn't been nuked give some different result?
It had been discussed in the past by some oldtimers who were legends in the hobby, but they never tried it, so while discussing it with Matthew Knapp the medicine bottle guru I decided to buy a purple and straw colored variant of matching vaseline jars, Matt had the kiln and I sent him the bottles, the basic premise is...

$$44$$$$$$$$$4ac1.jpg

Both bottles returned to their natural clear state, they will soon be part of the National Bottle Museum along with the entire write-up and pics showing them before, during and after....

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
When I found mine , I heard all about the nuking also, too bad that has happened , but mine came out of the dirt just as green as it went in 100 years before and I sold it as such , on eBay for around $40 to 45 . I really ignorant and curious, how do ya nuke a bottle,do ya gotta know someone at the hospital in the radiology dept ??? That is a serious ? Not a snide remark . I know about turning them purple in a box with a uv light is it the same ? Those are very distinct and easy to spot.
You can achieve really dark purple with a good light box and the correct UV bulb, but today guys load milk crates with bottles and run them thru industrial food sterilizers on pallets, that is the main way it is done today. gatorben on Ebay is the biggest of the "nuked" glass thieves, but there are other sellers who sell a lot of it and mention that the glasses could be changed purple or straw/brown thru various methods. I have seen enough people buy dark brown Cokes and Pepsis on Ebay for over $100 I wanna drive to Florida and smash every bottle over gatorben's fat head....

OP
OP
okpych

okpych

May 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can achieve really dark purple with a good light box and the correct UV bulb, but today guys load milk crates with bottles and run them thru industrial food sterilizers on pallets, that is the main way it is done today. gatorben on Ebay is the biggest of the "nuked" glass thieves, but there are other sellers who sell a lot of it and mention that the glasses could be changed purple or straw/brown thru various methods. I have seen enough people buy dark brown Cokes and Pepsis on Ebay for over $100 I wanna drive to Florida and smash every bottle over gatorben's fat head....

I've seen many purple bottles when i'm out shopping and i really never understood what was appealing about them.. I like when they are a faint purple but the ones that are bright, deep purple just look so artificial and in my opinion ugly. I can see though why people would find it attractive..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread