Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible day for me. Went to some very remote mangroves to probe for old bottles and beachcomb in general. It was brutally hot and incredibly dense mangroves. But way in the back of the swamp was a super pocket of debri. A pocket of trapped foam, lightbulbs, plastic, glass bottles, and everthing else that ever washed ashore, it was knee deep 100 ×100 foot area of maritime trash and debri. And in the middle of this trash were these beauties !! photo-459.JPG
photo-448.JPG
photo-446.JPG photo-370.JPG photo-426.JPG photo-491.JPG
I just cant believe it only 4 in twenty years icluding these. These are by far the best glass fishing floats ive ever gotten out of the swamp !! Still tied together with net cord. I cant tell you how hard it is to find these in the atlantic these days. Both bigger than basket balls !! Im still in shock. These will be at the top of my collection. No kanji marks, but still beautiful ones. These are what got me finding bottles in the mangroves, just havnt got any big ones in 20 years. Did good metal detecting yesterday too. Lady luck back on my side !!!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
those are cool,that years were they used??/
brad

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice finds. Big ones too! I lived in Northern Japan for a while and always found them on the beaches. Are they used in SA?

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were used in the early 1800s through the mid 1900s. Then plastic and foam came along. They used metal too. I found 2 smaller metal ones too. They can still be found in the Pacific if you look in the right areas but in the atlantic they are very rare. These are european or american not the more common asian. Even the asian ones are highly collected and starting to get pretty scarce. There are thousands of fake repros sold every year.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! I was fortunate to have found a few while stationed in Okinawa in the late 80s so I know the feeling when you first spot them.

I have a few that are the size of baseballs without netting and have been anguishing on whether to bottle tumble out the rough rashes on them or leave them as found.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mangroves....snakes and alligators.....bugs and heat....nice floats however!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks unclemac, I remember you being one of the few that is as passionate as I am about these glass floats. They have become very hard to find on the east coast and atlantic ocean these days. Almost a miracle to find 2 in one day on the U.S.east coast.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks unclemac, I remember you being one of the few that is as passionate as I am about these glass floats. They have become very hard to find on the east coast and atlantic ocean these days. Almost a miracle to find 2 in one day on the U.S.east coast.

here is the youngest with his...

Attachments

• DSC05829.JPG
    DSC05829.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome pic and float. Looks like you got yourself a young budding hunting partner. Im Still dreaming about flying by bush piolt to those remote alaskan beaches ! Good luck and happy hunting.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Very nice finds. But I cant stop thinking about the snakes and alligators...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosquitoes and spiders are a bigger concern. We have black widows, brown recluse, golden orb, to name a few. Im always on the look out for rattle snakes, coral snakes, and crocs or salties as we call them. Ive been driven out into the sea by a pack of more than a dozen racoons once too. They scared the you know what out of me. Even though they seem harmless I was way out numbered that day to take any chances holding my ground. They get bold when theres that many. Lots of forgotten and lost treasures back in those swamps though. Im as comfortable as bear gryls in there though. If the mosquitoes are swarming every living creature will be driven out or sucked dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread