Bain's Ginger Ale Bottle Color Change

May 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not be appropriate for this forum, but I can not find an answer anywhere else. What was the approximate time frame that E.A. Bain's, (Petersburg, VA bottling company), changed from clear ACL to dark green ACL bottles for their ginger ale? The clear bottle label has "Ginger Ale & Soda Waters" and the dark green bottle label has just "Ginger Ale". I have both types and would just like to know when the bottle color change was introduced. They both have 1 933 6LGW5 on the bottom of each bottle. I know that the "LGW" is for Laurens Glass Works but find it odd that they were both made in 1965.

Thanks,
James

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is the clear bottle contained one of there other flavors, but their main seller was their ginger ale, which is why the bottle says "Ginger Ale & Soda Waters". I imagine the bottle cap would have had the flavor it contained on it...

OP
OP
F
May 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. What you suggest is very plausible. However, at a much younger age I remember the clear bottle containing their ginger ale which had a very noticeable "kick" to it. The "kick' would warm ones mouth & tongue quite nicely. This is not to say that the clear bottles were not used for other flavors as well. I just do not remember when the dark green bottles replaced the clear ones. Dating bottles as accurately as possible is a very strong passion of mine. It can also be very challenging at times, as in this case.

Thanks,
James

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Dating bottles as accurately as possible is a very strong passion of mine. It can also be very challenging at times, as in this case.

Thanks,
James
Dating both bottles seems very easy in this case since you know the Lauren's date codes...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume the clear bottle has red ACL for the label and is ribbed?

OP
OP
F
May 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the lettering above the ACL is in red and underlined in red. It reads Bain's Bottling Works. Both bottles have the ribs just below the neck where the bottle body begins to enlarge to its full diameter. Maybe, as you suggested, the difference in color, dark green vs clear, was to differentiate between the ginger ale and other flavors. However, I distinctly remember that as a youngster, the clear bottles had ginger ale in them and it burned the inside of your mouth when it was consumed. Of course, this was back in the 1950's & early 1960's, probably before the green bottles were introduced.

James [ /SIZE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread