Is this Stoddard "F" mark

Gone2Far

Jun 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!
Just joined and hope to learn.

I have a 7 1/2 inch tall saddle flask (flat sides).
It has an F on the bottom and I wondered if this was a Stoddard.
I have never seen any mention of saddle flask bottles being made in Stoddard.
Even if it is not - which is most likely - I would love to know the maker, timeframe etc..
It appears to be a single ring applied top (ever so slight second ring)

Thanks in advance!
Gone2Far - many a time.

Attachments

• IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4809.JPG
    IMG_4809.JPG
    656.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4803.JPG
    IMG_4803.JPG
    627.6 KB · Views: 84

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It's possible based on the color but no way of knowing for sure. 1885-1900 with a tooled top like that imho....

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flask and welcome to this forum

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hello all!
Just joined and hope to learn.

I have a 7 1/2 inch tall saddle flask (flat sides).
It has an F on the bottom and I wondered if this was a Stoddard.
I have never seen any mention of saddle flask bottles being made in Stoddard.
Even if it is not - which is most likely - I would love to know the maker, timeframe etc..
It appears to be a single ring applied top (ever so slight second ring)

Thanks in advance!
Gone2Far - many a time.

This sort of bottle is usually called a "strap-sided flask" or more generically, a "pocket flask." The embossed "F" could be a mold code or it could stand for "Fairmount Glass Works" in Fairmount, Indiana (1889-1906). I agree with epackage, this is a late 19th Century bottle.

OP
OP
G

Gone2Far

Jun 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the welcome and the replies.
Tooled as opposed to applied and tooled, I see the distinction. No cut off/break line and the side seam does not go all the way to the lip. This site helped in understanding and identifying that: https://sha.org/bottle/finishes.htm
The "F" mark being Fairmount (possibly) and the dating would place this Bottle as being made in the Fairmount IN, not Indianapolis IN since Fairmount was opened in the dating range you provided. https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/FairmountGlass.pdf
Not definitive I know, but fantastic info. Thanks again.
Gone2far - many a time.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just so happens I have a similar version waiting to go into my tumbler. Mine is a plain 6 inch tall strap side with an F on the base and I assume that to be a Fairmont. Mine appears to be later period due to the construction of the top and the base.

IMG_3265 (2).JPG

IMG_3266 (2).JPG

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that Dug's is later, probably the 1900-1906 end of the estimating going on here, and that his 'F' is more likely to represent Fairmount.

Gone2Far's flask, with that nice post-bottom mould, looks much older, closer to the 1885 end, I would say. For some reason my instinct is that the F is a mould letter and not a maker's mark in this case. Not sure why.

Both nice flasks!

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I have one of those.

I remember this one from back when I worked in the fisheries biz.... out in a boat in St. Helena Sound and had to pee. One of the gals on the boat was a bit of a prude so I had to find a shell bar to pull up on and hide. Found this beauty laying in the mud on the other side... always liked how the sides kind of crisscross at the top.:icon_thumright:

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1746 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1746 (800x600).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1744 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1744 (800x600).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1743 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1743 (800x600).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, I have one of those.

I remember this one from back when I worked in the fisheries biz.... out in a boat in St. Helena Sound and had to pee. One of the gals on the boat was a bit of a prude so I had to find a shell bar to pull up on and hide. Found this beauty laying in the mud on the other side... always liked how the sides kind of crisscross at the top.:icon_thumright:

Cheers!

Always wondered how many old bottles got picked up off the bottom when they were out there dragging their nets around.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chitlin's flask looks like it's right in the middle between the other two, in terms of age. I take back what I said about the 'F' now though, now I don't know what to think!

OP
OP
G

Gone2Far

Jun 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4839.JPG

Well, here's 2 more pics.
A better pic of the bottom and showing the same crisscross as Chitlin's.
The F mark does appear to be larger than the others.

Gone2Far - many a time.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right Gone2Far, your crisscross (mould seam) continues across the bottom though. Yours has that separate circular base plate. Although post-bottom moulds like yours were used up until the turn of the century, they weren't nearly as common as the more simple moulds being used, and so it's not likely that your bottle is as young as the other two. I mean, there's a chance that it's a late post-bottom mould, but looking at all the other characteristics of your flask, I feel like it's just gotta be older. I'd feel tricked if it wasn't.

I was reading that Fairmount document though, and there is a lot of confusion. The markings are mysterious, they were making bottles by hand much later than other glasshouses, etc. I didn't come to any conclusions.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flask. Stoddard didn't manufacture strap sided flasks. But there's a possibility it could still be a new Hampshire piece. I have one very similar but a bit earlier and others have attributed it to the lydenboro glass house. Here's a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• 1497701279158.jpg
    1497701279158.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1497701305112.jpg
    1497701305112.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 59

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions