Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Y'all,

'Went and tried out a dump that I found a few years ago when I had just started out digging but didn't originally give a chance. As you can see, it's full of junk: lots of eavestroughs and bed mattress springs and pipes and, ugh, not very attractive - I quickly remembered why I passed it up the first time! This pic was actually taken after I had already moved a bunch of stuff aside. There was a lot of glass on the surface but most of it was 40s and 50s stuff, but there were some milk bottle tops and one or two older fruit jar bases and so I thought I'd give 'er a try. I was twisting the shovel like an auger to get through all the glass and wire bits and eventually got to a quieter clay layer. I found two of these small blown (about as late as blown gets) Wyeth bottles, and a tiny old spoon. Then things went quiet and so I starting putting test holes in everywhere along the length of the dump, only to find a bunch of late stuff and some more metal.

I returned to my original hole because if that was the only place I found something older, I might have a better chance there. Well, that logic worked for once, for I soon hit the base of a BLOWN FOREST GREEN CASE GIN OR PICKLE OR SOMETHING, OH MY GOODNESS!!! Haha, this thing had thick mould seams and a nice crude base and a bunch of swirls and bubbles and I was positive that it was something earth-shattering, but it was just an old English machine-made Walker's whiskey. FOOLED. But you know what? It's actually pretty nice, still around a hundred years old, and so I took it home. Then after a little more digging I ran into this old beer or soda base with "1917" embossed on the bottom. 'Turned out to be a C. Berry & Co. from Boston. Not bad, I'll take it!

So that was my little struggle with a tough little dump. I think it might still hold some secrets. I think there could be one or two beauties in there. I'll go back again someday.

Good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF9714.JPG DSCF9713.JPG DSCF9709.JPG DSCF9711.JPG DSCF9716.JPG DSCF9726.JPG DSCF9738.JPG DSCF9740.JPG DSCF9821.JPG

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have been doing a chicken dance, or at least a fist pump when that green corner popped out. Still a pretty bottle.

Is that poison ivy mixed in with the vegetation in the upper right pic? :eek:

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a tease. I was sure the thing was blown. Next time!

I don't think I saw any poison ivy there, I was wearing pants though and so I didn't really pay much attention. I'll keep an eye out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions