Nice Old 20th Century Bottle Finds from a Local Creek (VIDEO)

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: If you don't have time to see the video, I have pictures and descriptions of my favorite finds from Still Pond Creek below.

A couple of minutes down the road where I live, there is a river/pond that empties into the Chesapeake Bay called Still Pond Creek. I explore that place a lot with my kayak, and over a year ago I found a stretch of shoreline littered with broken and intact glass bottles, china, and milkglass jar liners. This shoreline is directly beneath a steep line of hills with old, rich homes on the top, so I suspect that I stumbled onto an old dump from one or more of these homes. I finally gathered up most of the stuff I found and made a video, and of course made the mistake of letting my dad edit it. But please enjoy seeing some cool old bottles that I've found from this old riverside dump (and a couple that I found in random places in Still Pond Creek):

Once you've seen the video, please see the notes below.

A few notes:
The "Pot Mustard" Bottle is actually a "Fluted" or "Squat Octagon" Mustard Bottle (as seen in a Kearns-Gorsuch Glass Company Catalog from 1916-1917 courtesy of SHA's Historic Bottle Website).
The Knox Bottle is indeed a Packer Bottle; a near exact likeness of it is in an Owens Illinois Catalog (see below).
I found a picture of the SAME exact Owens Illinois Vase-like Bottle in the Food Bottle Section of their 1936 Catalog (courtesy of SHA's Bottle Website)
More information on the Cooper Bros Chestertown Bottle will be forthcoming after I read the article about the company at the Kent County Historical Society's Library.
Again, I'd love your opinion on the Mount Carbon Brewery Bottle, especially from those Pottsville/Coal Region PA people out there.

Thanks for watching!

PICTURES OF MY FAVORITE FINDS:

DSCN6869.JPG

Early 20th Century Food/Mustard Bottle (1905-1920s)

DSCN6870.JPG

Owens Illinois Vase-like Food Bottle (1930 or 1940)

DSCN6871.JPG

Cooper Bros (Chestertown MD) Soda/Beverage Bottle (unknown range of date)

DSCN6872.JPG

Hires Household Extract (Philadelphia PA) Root Beer/Ginger Ale Extract Bottle (circa 20s-30s)

DSCN6873.JPG

Mount Carbon Brewery (Pottsville PA) Champagne Beer Bottle (circa 30s-50s)

Last edited:

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Kyle! I like that early machine-made food jar with the bubbles and amethyst hue. Probably 1905-1910ish! Keep 'em coming. You should get in a canoe and find out where the bottles are drifting from! There might be quite a few old dumps along the shorelines!

OP
OP
kyle369

kyle369

Apr 18, 2014
Eastern Shore of MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Kyle! I like that early machine-made food jar with the bubbles and amethyst hue. Probably 1905-1910ish! Keep 'em coming. You should get in a canoe and find out where the bottles are drifting from! There might be quite a few old dumps along the shorelines!

Thank you! I figured that that bottle might be that old, especially with the number and size of the bubbles! I don't doubt that there are more dumps to discover. Kent County (where Still Pond Creek is) is a very old and rich rural agricultural county, filled with old farmland, plantations and homesteads bound to be filled with all kinds of relics and bottles. That bottle was actually my most recent discovery at the dump, the only intact bottle among a pile of broken glass that I unearthed about two weeks ago. Speaking of broken glass, that day I was driven half crazy by the sheer volume of broken glass, and I came up with a silly parody of part of an old song:

(To the Tune of I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts)
I've got a lovely bunch of broken glass,
There it is, a-laying in the mud
Big shards, small shards,
Some as big as your hand!:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread