Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

'Thought I'd show you my burnt-down house site finds from yesterday. I got a couple of old bullet casings, not a big deal but I'm keeping them just because it tells more of the story about the place. I got a nice old makeup compact lid, a cool heart buckle, and another piece of one of those Native celts, found it just like the first one, caught my eye while digging a signal. I also got a 1920 wheat penny where I thought I had worked it hard enough, so it's good to know that there are still some coins there (I think that my machine acts a bit differently when the ground is wet/dry. It hasn't rained here in a while and that's allowed me to locate some relatively tinier signals). I found three spoons. The first two are/were silver plated, one of which held onto a lot of its silver on both sides, the most I've seen.

I need to ask you about this third spoon on the very right! I think that it might be made of pewter, and if it is, it'd be my first. It has a very dull kind of sound when you lightly drop it, unlike any other spoon that I've found. It has a very thick robust stem. It isn't plated, it appears to be the same substance throughout (I nicked it on the back with my shovel:sadsmiley:). There are no markings on it anywhere. Is it easy to date these?

Thanks for looking, good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF0626.JPG

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, that spoon on the right does look like pewter. No idea about dating, but for what it's worth I once dug an engraved pewter spoon dated somenorother, 1912, so they were still being made into the 20th century. Good luck finding the jar of silver that's lurking in there somewhere!

Bob-E-Pin

Dec 31, 2012
El Paso Texas/Las Cruces New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro. and AT Gold, Nox 800,Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have that same buckle, found all the way in New Mexico, less than a mile from the Mexican border. the research we found on it states that it is a Union Army Horse saddle tack, or Union Army sleeping satchel strap. Both were identical so hard to say which one it is. A thousand miles apart with the same relic. pretty cool....

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bob, looking at your signature about Davy Crockett, you know how that ended right?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have that same buckle, found all the way in New Mexico, less than a mile from the Mexican border. the research we found on it states that it is a Union Army Horse saddle tack, or Union Army sleeping satchel strap. Both were identical so hard to say which one it is. A thousand miles apart with the same relic. pretty cool....

I've heard that there is a lot of debate about these buckles, and that they've been made over a long period of time. Although I'd guess it's probably horse tack, I don't suspect this one is CW era (although I did find an American War of 1812 Regiment of Riflemen button at this site, so who knows).

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds the one spoon does look pewter what does the underside look like? It could be a rat tail spoon which would make it quite early.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds the one spoon does look pewter what does the underside look like? It could be a rat tail spoon which would make it quite early.

RelicDude, what's up man? You get back to haunted tavern creek lately? I still feel like there's gotta be a historical flask or something around there.

(Had to Google what a rat tail spoon looks like)

This one doesn't have a rat tail, but has more like a circular tadpole glob. I outlined it just in case anyone has trouble seeing it. Any thoughts?

DSCF0640.JPG DSCF0640c.jpg

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RelicDude, what's up man? You get back to haunted tavern creek lately? I still feel like there's gotta be a historical flask or something around there.

(Had to Google what a rat tail spoon looks like)

This one doesn't have a rat tail, but has more like a circular tadpole glob. I outlined it just in case anyone has trouble seeing it. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1497575 View attachment 1497576

I hadn't been digging lately pretty much just working my self into the ground.lok I'm actually going to hit the river bank today. I'm also going to a post later I found a shallow privy at work while planting trees. The spoon is definitely not a rat tail but being pewter I still think the spoon is pretty early most likely early to mid 19th century. It's cool it's still intact. I would spray it with a clear coat though to keep it from flaking apart. Keep up the good work your finding some nice stuff.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries NJ. Keep at it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread