Spied an early Laramie hutch in the river!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this past Saturday afternoon, after a rather upsetting issue regarding a batch of ancient Greek coins on eBay that put me in a particularly sour mood just after I woke up, Jenny decided to take me and our freshly-minted baby girl Annelise to the river park here in Laramie in hopes of cheering me up. When we reached the converted wooden railroad bridge, I was explaining that it seemed that almost all of my interests were "acquisitive or extractive in nature" and that I needed to rewire myself to also derive joy from simply experiencing things, instead of also trying to incorporate an asset-building or profit motive into my activities, and whaddya know but at that moment I looked down into the water and spied 2 rocks that had recently become un-silted (I check this area often), and in-between them was a bottle that was obviously not the typical residue of this past summer's drunken aquatic revelries!

I naturally excused myself, went under the bridge and plopped some stepping stones into the water so I could reach and coax the mystery bottle toward me with a respectable beaver-gnawed branch without soiling my singular pair of decent shoes. Holy crap it's a hutch! Woohoo! I greedily rubbed off the slime, and had a moment of despair thinking that it was one of those "rare" unembossed examples, but the bottle-gods smiled and revealed that it was indeed embossed (albeit faintly) and a local Laramie piece to boot! Perhaps they were also telling me to cease the nonsense about re-configuring my interests, haha.

Well my blues were instantly cured and I clambered back onto the bridge to find Jenny, who saw me grinning ear-to-ear holding my prize, and from a good distance asked "Is it a hutch?" (she has learned well :laughing7:).

It is an applied-lip "N.C. Peterson Laramie Wyo" private mold hutch made by I.G.Co., and based on a cursory search it may have been an earlier variant of his bottles, perhaps from the pre-1890 territorial days! I found a digitized newspaper archive and found references going back to 1883, but then lost interest and decided to search for references to dumps across all the papers of Wyoming and holy moly did I find a trove of information from many different towns and was glued to the archive most of Sunday, I might actually be able to dig goodies like I did in Illinois once again, got high hopes for next year! Guess that acquisitiveness is a bit too hard-wired to be ignored, haha.

Sandblasted and chipped, but man I'm happy to have finally found a genuine Wild West bottle (and to have stumbled upon info worth its weight in gold because of it):

DSCN3866 (2).JPG

Happy hunting everyone!

OP
OP
Plumbata

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had found this nice stone ink within 30 feet of the hutch around a year ago (also lodged between rocks), which is why I've made a point to eyeball the area regularly:
DSCN3867 (2).JPG

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. Where to start?! Congratulations on the awesome piece of history, congratulations on the new baby, and congratulations on the wife who knew just how to fix things. Treat those ladies to something special.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !! Congrats !!! Your bottle is shown in the Wyoming book and listed as very scarce .Peterson opened the Laramie bottling works , Petersons' Soda and Ice Cream Saloon , in 1882 at 111 front street . Not an expert on Wyoming bottles , but I think it is safe to say yours is from the 1880s. The book only shows two applied top hutchs from Peterson , yours and the other one is a quart with a slug plate

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a beauty! 'Gotta love eyeballing them from the shore like that!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hutch....and by the way, there is always time to reconfigure.....later.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Plums! May be time to get wet on a regular basis if you're eyeballing finds like that just walking by.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with sandchip, there's no telling what lies beneath the water in that river. Great find and good eye spotting it from above. I have a newborn grand baby named Annalise

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hutch and nice stoneware conical ink. I found one like it last year. Get your self a 3 ft probe and get in the water and learn what glass sounds and feels like with the probe. Odds are there's many more treasures in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread